CHAPTER THREE - CLOUDY VENDETTA (Part 3)

(Part Three)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

Examining the diner, I saw the owner of the vehicle and realised the little old man, chatting to the uninterested waitress in the hope that he could stay a little longer so he didn’t have to go back to his lonely, one bedroom apartment, was never going to get me anywhere fast. ‘Er - I don’t have one,’ I replied.

She looked around before she pushed herself against me. Her cheap perfume burnt my nostrils as I tried to back away. ‘I have a car round the back. Why don’t I take you to where you want to go?’ she paused. The thought of spending more time with her made me want to walk the rest of the way… happily dealing with the developing sores and blisters on my feet.

She started to stroke my face, ignoring my uncomfortable fidgeting. ‘Okay, give me the keys and I’ll pull it round to the front,’ I lied as she excitedly obliged and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

The red Nissan Micra looked like it had seen better days but, like the waitress, it was decorated to hide its tired reality. ‘Time to get moving!’I laughed to myself as I sped out of the car park and waved her goodbye.

The last shot I saw was her screaming to her boss as they tried to run after the struggling car. Knowing it wouldn’t be long before the police would be looking for me; I broke the speed limit and kept to the empty side roads as I negotiated the new scenery.

It took a little longer than I expected but I eventually reached Lou’s Grandmother’s house just as the sun began to rise.

It was a beautiful scene and reminded me of the times Isla begged me to wake up and witness this natural miracle just once with her but I always refused and rolled over, hoping that she would come back to bed for a nice session before Lou woke us up.

It’s funny the things you regret doing when you look back and realise how small and easy they were to do at the time.

The house looked exactly the same. The red door looked slightly worn but with new double-glazed windows and a landscaped garden hiding behind the black metal fence, it had definitely had a mini facelift.

There was no movement from inside so I decide to drive to the edge of town and dump the car before facing my fate with Lou.

Positioning it behind a petrol station, I managed to chat up the shop assistant long enough to distract her, so I could take a few cartons of petrol. ‘Do you have any more of these toys?’ I asked her.

She looked around in a fluster as more customers entered. ‘I think that’s all we have, I’m afraid,’ she replied as the other customers began to get frustrated at the wait.

‘I’m sorry, it’s just my little boy loves trucks and he says it’s not a real truck if it’s not red…’ I continued to hold up the queue. She buzzed for her colleague to come to help her but no one came. ‘Are you sure you have no more in the back?’ I continued as she batted to and fro behind the counter, trying to multi-task.

‘Just go and check the back!’ one of the men yelled - he knew I wouldn’t be leaving anytime soon.

Eventually she agreed and the other customers left their money on the counter as they refused to wait any longer. ‘Perfect! I think three will do!’I chuckled to myself as I took three petrol bottles and ran out of the shop.

Staying in the shadows, I threw the bottles into the back of the car and sped off.

Heading in the direction of the abandoned barn where I took Isla for the last part of our first date, I prayed that no one had bought it. ‘Great!I cheered to myself as I pulled in behind it, out of sight and started to douse the car with the petrol.

I had no matches or lighter, so I had to rely on my camping skills to build a fire. ‘Spilt the bark then rub the stick in the crack, right?I questioned myself. My patience was wearing thin after twenty minutes had gone by and not even a spark greeted the pink hazy sky.

I was about to give up when a small, thin veil of smoke danced up to my face. I continued twisting the stick with gusto as a spark appeared and a small fire was formed.

Looking around for something to maintain the blaze, I threw straw onto the mini fire and lit a branch, holding it out in front of me, ready to clear the evidence of myself from the car.

The fire grew in intensity within minutes as I tried to put it out with my foot. The flames lashed against the back of the barn. I couldn’t defuse the bonfire and the back of the barn began to burn.

Did you enjoy this part of the chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***