Chapter 27: The Shrieking Egg

The four entered the Common Room to a group of Gryffindor students clustered around the fireplace. Once Hermione stepped closer, it was then when she saw Percy and Harry sitting on the couch. Harry's hands resting tightly against the closed egg.

Harry quickly smiled in acknowledgement of her entering the room, along with the Annabeth and Thalia, before sending a menacing glare towards Ron, "Oh we're talking now, are we?"

Ron nodded, before looking down guiltily towards his shoes, "I just- I just figured that you must be mental to sign up for the tournament on purpose, 'specially after the dragon." He had the nerve to glance back up towards him, but instead of his hostile expression, Harry seemed almost relieved.

"Caught on, haven't you?" he shook his head, now speaking more calmly, "It's okay. Forget it."

Ron nodded, as Hermione looked at the two nervously, before wiping some tears from her eyes.

Harry looked at her, confused, "There's nothing to cry about!"

She laughed, dabbing her eyes to get rid of the tears, "You two are so stupid!"

And for once Hermione wasn't paying attention to the peculiar Americans, but instead towards her ridiculous,... 

yet very dear, friends.

________________________________________________________________________________

As the group continued hovering over Harry's golden egg, Percy was able to sneak up to the boy's dormitories. Annabeth and Thalia quickly trailed behind him, the Gryffindors conveniently distracted with Harry and Ron's mended friendship and the peculiar clue for the next task.

"Hey, where were you guys?" Percy had a mildly-difficult time limping up the stairs with his bandaged leg, but still managed to maintain some stealth as he faced the two now standing around his bed.

Thalia crinkled her nose at the open ziploc bag of cookies, scattered over the sheets of his unmade bed, "Oh... nowhere in particular. Just trying to get out of Hermione and Ron's questions. After they may or may not have seen me shoot the Hungarian Horntail with my bow."

Percy almost stumbled over Harry's trunk, "What!?"

Annabeth shrugged, "We've come up with an excuse... but I don't think Hermione quite bought it. We told her the 3 of us are Aurors from America," after noticing Percy's confused looks she continued, "Dark-Wizard Hunters. Basically the mortal version of a detective."

"Oh," he furrowed his eyebrows.

"That's not the real problem right now. Why did you look like you've seen a ghost down there?" Thalia stepped in, snapping Percy out of his thoughts.

"Puh-lease, Thalia. I've seen more ghost than you..." he smirked, before changing into a more serious tone, "What uh... what did you guys hear down there?"

"Sounded like Drew after the Nemesis Cabin fiasco," Annabeth frowned, as Percy shuddered at the thought of that tragic day, "Why do you ask?"

Percy paused for a moment, as if trying to find the words to explain,"Because... because I heard something else...

I heard singing."

________________________________________________________________________________

"It sounded like someone being tortured!" Neville held his hands over his face in horror, "Maybe you'll have to fight the Cruciatus Curse!"

"Don't be absurd Neville!" George shouted over the murmurs as he popped a jam tart into his mouth, "It's illegal. Besides I thought it sounded more like Percy singing..."