Chapter 41: The Second Task (Part 2)

(This picture was taken from: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Merpeople?file=Merpeople_PM.png)

Percy was shocked at the number of algae-covered caves and dwellings along the lake's floor

Percy was shocked at the number of algae-covered caves and dwellings along the lake's floor. He had seen various underwater cities before, but none of them included fresh-water creatures. So... he didn't expect the merpeoples' city to be as massive as the ones in the ocean.

Emerging from the seaweed bordering the edge of the town square, Percy had spotted the swarm of merpeople singing in a siren-fashion in the very middle. And hovering above them...

Percy froze, spotting five paralyzed figures floating in the water.

Dangling from each of their ankles was a kelp-version of rope, tying them against a decaying statue of a merperson in the center of the plaza. Red, green, and even a very bright hue of purple coral was growing along the stone masonry.

By the time he had swam up to take a closer look at the 5 hostages, the merpeople have clustered together into a very large crowd, a majority of them holding up spears towards their sides. However, they didn't seem to have any intention in using them... at least at the moment.

He barely payed attention, as he slowly hovered eye level to one of the people in particular.

Annabeth's face was extremely pale, but luckily, she seemed calm and in a tranquil state. Small bubbles emitting from her mouth showed signs of her still being alive, in the exact state as the other 4 people. But to be quite honest, they didn't matter as much to Percy compared to her.

He then swam a few feet lower to observe the rope, and not finding any other option, Percy looked warily around...

as he uncapped Riptide.

________________________________________________________________________________

Harry swatted the last of the lengthy strands of seaweed aside, emerging from the underwater forest into the merpeople's village.

But unlike a few moments ago, their song they had been singing ended, and a crowd quickly gathered around what seemed to be a stone statue. Due to the thickness of the crowd, Harry couldn't see what the inhabitants of the lake were looking at.

And then the realization of him being in water dawned on him, and swam above the crowd for a better vantage point.

Harry gasped, a flurry of bubble emitting from his mouth.

There was Percy in the center of the crowd, hovering with a glowing bronze sword in hand.

________________________________________________________________________________

The cord quickly snapped in half, and Annabeth's make-shift chains were broken. Percy was awashed with relief, and swam back up to where she was very slowly drifting upward, now that she wasn't tied down to the statue.