57. So Cute

Maya crawls in through the bay-window for the third time during a couple hours.
"New York may be a loud city but I think I heard Leah ask if you're her sister." Riley says.
"You probably did." Maya says.
"Come on." Riley says taking Maya's hand and dragging her out to the Matthews' living room.
"Mom." Riley says.
"Yes?" Topanga asks working on her laptop by the dinner table.
Maya and Riley sit down by it.
"How does it work when someone adopts a kid?" Riley then asks making Topanga a bit surprised.
While trying to think of what to say Topanga looks rather uncomfortable.
Cory, who's watching TV, turns it off and walks over to the dinner table to sit down next to Topanga.
"Why do you ask?" She then asks.
"I think what Riley's trying to ask you is if you knew that Shawn hasn't actually adopted me." Maya says.
Topanga puts her laptop to the side.
"How much do you know Maya?" Topanga asks.
"I went home and heard them arguing--"
"Them?" Cory asks.
"I don't even know what to call them! Katy and Shawn." Maya says. "I heard him say he's not actually my dad and
I fell backwards. They heard it and came out there and asked if I'm okay and stuff but I just ran away from them. Then, I talked to Zay and his former foster sister since they've both been adopted..."
"Maybe you should tell them about Leah?" Riley asks.
"Right. His former foster sister, Leah... She's been adopted by Kermit and the guy he was divorcing a while ago."
"Wow." Topanga and Cory says simultaneously.
"And you found out about this tonight?" Topanga asks.
"Last week." Maya corrects her.
Cory and Topanga become speechless.
"Anyway, I went to them to ask what he could've meant and then I had to reveal to Leah that Kermit's my birthdad... Dad? I don't even know..." Maya says.
"So..."Topanga starts." It was Leah who yelled--"
"Am I your sister?" Cory cuts her off.
"You heard that too?" Maya asks.
"So that came all the way from the bakery?" Topanga asks and Maya nods.
"I thought it was the neighbors." Cory says.
"Then Kermit showed up--"
"What?!" Riley exclaims.
"Yes, he said that I don't know what it's like to be gay and keep it a secret from the people you love." Maya adds.
Cory clears his throat and Topanga tilts her head in disagreement while Riley's raised her eyebrows as much as possible and has a serious look on her face.
"Can I stay here tonight?" Maya asks.
"Of course." Riley says.
"I really think you should go home and talk to them." Cory says. "Get their point of view maybe?"
"I'm tired and still pretty angry with them. So I don't really feel like talking to them now." Maya says.
"It's just that..." Topanga starts. "We don't quite know how we feel about the two of you sleeping in the same bed now that you're a couple."
"Okay. I can sleep on the couch, it's fine." Maya says.
"No." Riley says. "What are you so afraid will happen?"
"Uhm... Well... Uh..." Cory tries to say something but don't know how.
"You don't have to worry." Maya says.
"Really?" Cory asks.
"Yeah..." She says. "I'm tired. I'm probably gonna fall right to sleep as soon as I lay down. Besides, with you guys in the next room--"
"Okay!" Cory cuts her off. "You can stay in Riley's room, just please stop."

After getting ready for bed, Maya borrowing pajamas from Riley and getting a mattress on the floor to sleep on, the girls lie down in their beds, and despite what Maya said she can't fall asleep.
"Riley?" She whispers.
"Yes?" Riley asks.
"I'm scared." Maya says. Riley turns to face Maya.
"Why, peaches?" Riley asks.
"What if I'll be forced to live with Kermit?" Maya asks.
"That wouldn't happen, Maya." Riley says. "Your mom would never let that happen. And neither would Shawn or my parents and definitely not me."
"Well, as much as I wish it was, it's not Shawn's or yours or your parents' decision to make." Maya says frowning, a tear running down her cheek.
Riley climbs out of bed to Maya's mattress and takes her hand while lying face to face.
"If you would ever have to live with him, I'd go there, I'd break you out and we'd run off somewhere no one would find us." Riley says.
"What about our parents? And Auggie and our friends?" Maya asks.
"We'd buy payphones to call them on and say that if they tell people we called them it will never happen again or something." Riley says.
"How would we know if they told anyone?" Maya asks. Riley thinks for a second.
"Easy fix. We'll just knock everyone out and put chips with microphones in their necks." Riley says shrugging.
"You're crazy." Maya says giggling.
"So long as I'll never stop hearing your laugh, I don't care." Riley says smiling and making Maya smile. "Now we should sleep." Riley then says before kissing Maya's forehead and asking Maya to turn over so Riley could spoon her.
After a while of spooning, Riley hears what sounds like a crying Maya holding it back.
"Are you okay, Peaches?" Riley asks.
Maya reveals that she's laughing and not crying.
"Chips in their necks." Maya laughs quietly. "Easy fix." She laughs some more. Riley laughs with her.