33. Lucas And Maya

Maya's sitting on a bench outside of the house where both Topanga's bakery and the Matthews' apartment is located. With her face in her hands she's thinking about everything that's circulating her and Riley. She looks up with bloodshot eyes to see Lucas. He's turning his head constantly, looking everywhere as if he's trying to find something. Or someone. He then sees Maya and sits down on the bench, next to her.
"Allison got mad at me. She ran off. I don't know where she went." Lucas says.
"And that's the downside of having a girlfriend that you don't know anything about." Maya comments.
"What were you and Riley arguing about, though?" He then asks before noticing her eyes. "Wow, Maya, are you okay?"
"No. I hate when I'm fighting with Riley. But I'm Maya, you know. The tough one. So I ran out of there before she could see me weeping. If you tell anyone, I'll hurt you. Anyway, when I was in Miami, Lauren tried to help me figure out if I liked girls or not." Maya starts. "So, she kissed me."
"What, you're gonna steal her too?" Lucas quickly reacts.
"Calm down!" Maya says before she has time to process what he just said. "Hold on." She then says and looks at him while furrowing her eyebrows and smirking. "Anyway, she's completely sure she's straight and I told her I don't like her, I told her I like Riley. But Riley still got jealous. But that's not all of it." Maya says.
"Okay, what else?" Lucas asks.
"You'd like to know that, wouldn't cha, huckleberry?" Maya asks.
"Yeah, that's kinda why I asked." He says.
"Do you recall asking Riley to be your girlfriend again?" Maya asks. "You know, when Farkle told me you did that I kind of wanted to make sure you ended up in a hospital for a few weeks." Maya says.
"Okay, then maybe I should go now." Lucas says nervously.
"No, I realized that it won't help anyway. And then there's Riley who would probably choose you if I smashed in your face. But Riley didn't tell me you wanted to get back together with her and blames that on me too cus we don't talk like we used to anymore." Maya says.
"Well, with the Lauren thing, I mean, after you and me and the triangle and all that, maybe Riley's just a little gun-shy." Lucas says.
"But okay, I don't mean to be defensive now, Lucas." Maya starts. "But why did you want to get back with Riley? We both know you don't like her in that way anymore. Was it just cus you wanted Lauren to get jealous? Or did you need a reason to not look at her dreamingly?" She asks. "And, seriously, what's up with the Allison thing? She's had a crush on you almost as long as Riley has, almost every girl in our history class knows that. But she's always backed off for Riley. Now, she has the chance to be the girlfriend to the guy of her dreams and he's just using her as a tool to get the one he really wants? You're a bit of an ass, you know." Maya says.
"Well, when you put it like that..." Lucas tries to start but Maya cuts him off.
"You know what I think? I think that when you understood Lauren's coming to town, you ran to Riley's as soon as possible to beg her to be your girlfriend just to make Lauren jealous. And then, when Riley says no, you just picked up one of all the love letters in your locker and got the lucky winner, Allison. And you're gonna show Lauren what a cute boyfriend you are, show her what she's missing. For what? You still haven't forgiven her and you'll still have a girlfriend. You think she'd feel close to welcome to tell you if she likes you? Why not just be honest with them both. Apologize to Allison and forgive Lauren." Maya rambles on and Lucas is listening.
He keeps quiet for a few seconds.
"Wait, Lauren never said how she feels about you even though you did, did she?!" Maya asks as if she's found out the mystery of life.
"No. She didn't. Was that why we played the couples game tonight? Did you set us up?" Lucas asks.
"Maybe..." Maya admits and laughs.
Lucas smiles friendly at her.
"Why do you always have to torture me with that game?" He asks with a smile. "Last time we played that, Riley was with Charlie. And he almost knew more about her then I did." He says and continues to smile.
"Yeah... Charlie..." Maya says and starts visibly thinking.
Lauren shows up.
"Hey, Maya, I'm sorry I told Riley, I thought she knew but the second I understood she didn't I started defending you all I could!" Lauren says.
"No, it's; it's okay." Maya says seeming like she's not completely focused on reality.
"What is it, Maya?" Lucas then asks.
"No, I just; I just started thinking..." Maya says. "Anyway, I think the two of you may have some stuff to talk about so I'll be heading home now. Good night." Maya says and leaves.
"Good night." Lucas and Lauren says in unison and then looks at each other nervously.