42. The Three Clowns

It's now Monday as Farkle climbs in through the bay window and sees Riley laying in bed, this time, facing the bay window.
He sits down in the window as he furrows his eyebrows.
"Riley?" He says.
"Yeah?" She answers.
"What are you doing?" He asks.
She think for a few seconds.
"Lying down..." She says.
"Why?" He asks.
"Cus I like it..." She answers.
"Is this because of Maya?" He asks.
"Maybe." She answers.
He takes a deep, loud breath as she in her mind is questioning the purpose of his questions.
"Maya told me to figure out what I'm truly feeling. Yesterday, I asked her how she would be able to tell that I had figured it out if I'm truly in love with her." Riley says with an empty voice and an empty look on her face.
"What did she say?" Farkle asks.
"Nothing." Riley answers. "My dad interrupted us and then she acted like she forgot that I asked..."
"Avoided the subject?" Farkle asks.
"Yeah." Riley starts. "She probably thinks I didn't notice, too." Riley then adds, remaining emotionless in every word she says and every look she has during the entire conversation.
"So Maya didn't really have an answer to that question?" Farkle asks. "Is it possible that she's still not convinced that you like her?"
"I hope that's it. Or that she simply didn't have an answer to my question." Riley says.
"What else could it be?" Farkle asks.
"There could be another reason she didn't want to answer that. Maybe something will happen before it comes to a point where I should have figured out my feelings already. And she knows it will happen." Riley starts. "Maybe she's going to break up with me and that's why she called a break, to see how I would handle it before she took the bigger step."
"You call this 'handling it'?" Farkle asks referring to her laying in bed. "You're Riley, though. And she's Maya." He says. "It's not supposed to end that way! I do not accept it!" Farkle shouts mostly to see if she'll laugh.
She doesn't.
"Even our own lives has plot twists once in a while." She just says, continuously emotionless.
"Okay, this is it, I'm gonna call for backup." Farkle says.
A few minutes later, Zay climbs in through the bay window.
"What up, Farkley?" Zay asks.
"Look at her!" Farkle says and points at Riley.
"Wow! It looks like Riley's identical twin who is more of an opposite to Riley than Maya is." Zay comments.
"Well, it isn't. It's Riley." Farkle answers.
"What do you want me to do?" Zay asks.
"Cheer her up, make her laugh or smile or something." Farkle replies.
"Alright." Zay says and then starts stretching.
"What are you doing?" Farkle asks.
"Uhm... Stretching? What does it look like?" Zay asks.
When he's done stretching he walks up to Riley and waves his hand in front of her face. No reaction. He then makes a few funny faces. She doesn't react.
"Okay, what did the buffalo say to his son when he was leaving for college?" Zay asks.
"Bison." Riley says with an empty voice. 
He steps back to Farkle and whispers in his ears. Farkle gets out the bay window. A minute or two he comes back with a few helium balloons and a banana.
"How did you get that so fast?" Zay asks.
"Well, there's a family living downstairs who are throwing a birthday party for a kid and the banana is mine." Farkle says.
"And you just went into their home and took it?" Zay asks furrowing his eyebrows.
"No! I could reach it from outside." Farkle explains. "Hope you've got a good idea now cus I was pretty close to flying away." He then adds making Zay laugh.
Zay then takes the banana, climbs out the bay window and peels it. He then throws the peeled banana down on the street.
"Hey, I was gonna eat that!" Farkle says.
Zay climbs back in and places the banana peel on the floor before he steps back and then intentionally slips on it. Riley still doesn't react. Zay then unties one of the balloons. He breaths in the helium. Then hands over the balloon to Farkle who does the same.
"Hey, I'm Alvin!" Zay says.
"Oh my god, you sound so funny!" Farkle says and then they both start laughing at each other. Riley doesn't smile at them. Lucas suddenly steps in and  Farkle hands him the balloon.
"I'm Mortimer Twigglebottom-Smythe" He then says causing Zay, Farkle and Lucas to laugh hysterically. They get lost in laughing at each other and forget about trying to make Riley laugh.