Harry - Something Better

Something Better

Request for Fighter_lover

"For the harry potter one shots do Draco cheating on the reader and when falls in love with harry potter in the 4 year."

Students were buzzing with talk of the upcoming Yule Ball. Girls giggled and contemplated who might ask them to go. Boys feigned confidence to build each other up and urge one another to ask the girl of his dreams.

You grumbled to yourself as you took your seat in History of Magic class. You were the only student who wasn't ecstatic about going to the dance. Truthfully, you weren't even sure that you would attend. No one had asked you, and no one would. It wouldn't bother you so much if you hadn't been planning for the last several months to attend with a certain platinum blond.

Until a few weeks ago, you'd been in a rather pleasant relationship with none other than Draco Malfoy. Everyone was surprised by the coupling - you weren't a Slytherin, or a pureblood, so naturally no one expected Draco to even look in your direction. But he had asked you on a date, and you had eagerly agreed. You'd always been fascinated by him.

Things had been going really well. Draco wasn't as much of a jerk to you as he was to everyone else, and you truly believed that he cared for you. He smiled when you were with him. He sat beside you in class. He held your hand when you walked together in the hall.

On one chilly winter morning, it was all over. Just a month before the Yule Ball, which the two of you had been planning to attend as a couple, you turned the corner towards the Slytherin dorm, wanting to surprise Draco during his free period. But the sight that met you at the other end of the hall was enough to spin you on your heel and send you running outside, unconcerned by the freezing snow falling from the sky.

At the end of the hall stood Draco, his arms wrapped around some Slytherin girl's waist, their lips passionately connected. Neither of them even noticed your arrival or your immediate departure.

You'd stormed outside, sprinting towards the tree under which you would study in warmer weather. Your back dropped against the trunk, keeping yourself upright as to not sit in the cold, wet snow. Years streamed down your cheeks and choked sobs narrowly escaped your lips. You were confident that no one was outside to hear your cries, so you let out as much noise as you needed to before you had to return to class.

With a huff, you wiped your eyes, erasing any signs of your meltdown. Holding your head up, you sauntered back to the castle, pretending that nothing had happened.

When your roommate heard that you weren't planning to go to the Yule Ball, she went into overdrive. She did her best to cheer you up, distracting you with stories and homework and pointing out the many cute, single boys that attended Hogwarts. You finally gave in and agreed to go, with a very exasperated sigh, if only to silence her insistent pleas.

"You never know," she had reasoned, "someone there might ask you to dance!"

High heels clicked against the floor as you sauntered into the ballroom alongside your best friend and roommate, Anna. She had taken you shopping and had helped you select the gorgeous gown you were now displaying. It was (f/color), with a tight top that modestly accentuated your curves and a skirt made of satin and glittery tulle that almost reached the floor. Your hair was twisted up into a bun, secured with sparkling pins, and you'd never felt more out of place in your life.

But Anna beamed at you, thrilled that she'd gotten you this far, so you continued into the room on her arm.

Within moments, some handsome, single boy in a sleek black tux approached your table. Anna elbowed you excitedly, but you rolled your eyes. You saw how his eyes were glued to your roommate. There was no way he was interested in you.

He asked her to dance, and she turned to you, chewing her lip.

"Go," you insisted. "I'll be fine."

She nodded, accepting his hand and shuffling onto the dance floor.

With a sigh, you gulped down your glass of punch.

You sauntered out to the balcony, grateful for the peace and quiet. Everyone else was busy dancing as close as they could without getting in trouble - no one needed to come up for air.

As you leaned against the railing, relishing the cool breeze that caressed your skin, you heard footsteps behind you. Before you could turn to investigate, a familiar brunet appeared beside you.

"Hey, (Y/N)."

"Hi, Harry."

"What are you doing it here?" he inquired. "Taking a break from your date?"

You shrugged. "I don't have a date."

He raised a brow. "Oh. Sorry, I just... I assumed you were coming with Malfoy."

A bitter laugh fell from your lips. "Yeah. So did I. Until he cheated on me."

Harry's baby blues widened in surprise. "He what? (Y/N)... I'm so sorry."

You shrugged again. "It's fine. I'm fine."

Harry nodded softly. He was quiet for a moment before offering you his hand.

You raised your brow at him.

He smiled softly. "May I have this dance?"

As if on cue, a slow song started inside the ballroom. With a soft smile, you accepted his hand, letting him lead you inside. You shot Anna a wink and her jaw dropped as Harry placed a hand on your waist. You rested one hand on his shoulder, the other intertwining with his. He twirled you around the floor with ease as though you'd danced together a dozen times.

You felt more comfortable and at ease with him than you'd ever felt with Draco.

Speak of the devil - a certain platinum blond caught sight of you dancing with his arch enemy, and his blood boiled. A giggle rose in your throat as you glanced at him, catching the crimson hue that his face was turning from fury.

Harry followed your gaze with a smirk and pulled you close by your waist. You rested your head on his chest, humming softly as his heartbeat soothed you. You didn't know what happened to Draco or anyone else at the dance - all you cared about was being in Harry's arms.