Draco - I Choose You

I Choose You

Request for Me-my-mine

"Well it would be one where she and Draco were friends until he gets sorted into Slytherin and she gets sorted into Gryffindor. So Draco still likes her but he wanted to look cool for his friends and not like a Gryffindor."

You grew up spending time with Draco Malfoy. Coming from a pure blood family, you were one of the few kids Draco was allowed to play with. Your parents got along wonderfully with the Malfoys, and you would spend many an afternoon in his manor or he in yours.

You were the same age, so you shared the excitement of starting Hogwarts together. Your families made sure that you ran through the wall and boarded the train together. You were glad to have a friend in such a large sea of strangers.

When you made it to school, neither of you really thought about what house you would be sorted into. Of course, Draco had to be in Slytherin, but you never discussed what house you might get, or what should happen if you were in anything besides Slytherin. It simply never came up.

Until you sat beneath the sorting hat, and it yelled out, "Gryffindor!"

Horror struck the blond's face as he watched you saunter to the table adjacent his, not sitting beside him, not sitting beneath the same color banners. He was mortified that you weren't in the same house. As he thought about it, you weren't really a Slytherin – you were kind and friendly and not very devious. It made sense, but it broke his heart.

He was now surrounded by spoiled, pureblood brats. He wouldn't even be allowed to be your friend...

You had no idea there was such a feud between the two houses. If you had, you would have understood why, when you turned to smile at your friend, he simply turned away like you were nobody.

Over the years, he grew more distant. It broke your heart every time you saw him. The only time he spoke to you was when he was with his posse, helping them make fun of your status as though you'd been enemies forever. If he noticed the broken look in your eye that stung deeper with every insult that fell from his lips, he made sure not to show it – and he certainly didn't care.

Before Hogwarts, you were sure you'd be friends forever. You were the only one to see the soft side of Draco, the side that you were almost sure was entirely extinguished now. You tried to put on a brave face, to stand up to him and his friends, but the more you fought, the worse his words were. If he were any other bully, you'd hex him and put him in his place. But this was Draco, your childhood friend... your first crush. You couldn't do any of that.

The Yule Ball rolled around during your fourth year, and everyone went into a panic. Girls ran around squealing and gushing over how sparkly their dresses were and who they were hoping would ask them to dance. Boys strutted around like they owned the school, asking every girl to the ball and moving onto the next when the first said no.

You didn't even care. Everyone in your house was going. Everyone in your house had a date. You weren't feeling much for a ball. Instead, you were planning a quiet night in, having your dorm room to yourself for the first time ever.

"Come on, (y/n)," Hermione had tried to convince you. "Go with some friends. There will be food and music. It might be fun."

"I really don't want to watch a bunch of horny teenagers drooling all over each other under the premise of dancing," you had countered. "I'm perfectly fine with not going."

And that had been that.

But as the ball drew closer, your inner princess began to emerge. You found yourself longing to dress in a fancy ball gown and do your hair and, if anything, sit on the sidelines drinking pumpkin juice. You and your roommates decided to go as a group, for their dates had fallen through.

You wore a (f/c) dress that hugged your figure, with off-shoulder sleeves that reached your wrists and a skirt that hung to the floor. It had a light layer of glittery lace over it, giving it an enchanting effect. Around your neck was a necklace given to you by Draco when you were young. It was a simple green heart dangling from a silver chain. It had been your eleventh birthday gift from him.

You wondered if he remembered. You had never taken it off.

After fetching a glass of juice, you found yourself an empty table to sit and watch the festivities. The song was upbeat, so you had no reason to be in a foul mood. But you still didn't feel like dancing.

"Are you just going to sit and watch all night?" a familiar voice commented. Your eyes widened as you lifted your head and met the bright steel blue eyes of Draco.

"What does it matter to you?" you replied, adding a layer of ice to your voice. He internally winced.

He shrugged. "Just thought that if you were going to go through the trouble of dressing up, you might as well dance."

"I don't like this song," you lied.

The song ended, and a slow beat began, enticing all of the happy couples to gather on the floor. A pale hand appeared in your vision, outstretched to you.

"Dance with me?" he asked, raising a brow as though daring you to protest.

"Why?" you replied instead. "I'm nothing to you."

He visibly winced. "Please?" he murmured.

Having never heard him use manners, you accepted his hand and let him lead you. You could feel people staring at Draco Malfoy dancing with a Gryffindor, and once he noticed, you were sure he was going to push you away and laugh in your face.

Instead he placed a hand on your waist, pulling you close. You widened your eyes as you looked at him.

"We need to talk," he said softly, swaying to the beat.

"What about?"

He sighed. "What a bloody git I've been."

You snorted. "That's true."

He smirked softly. "You know my father. I have to be cruel. I have to force my status and make sure others know their place. I don't have a single problem with Gryffindors, but if I don't lead the taunting, it will get back to my father, and you know how bad that can get."

You nodded. "So your parents would hate me now, huh?"

He sighed. He wanted to say no. "I honestly couldn't say. My father... would be hesitant. My mother, I'm sure, would still love you."

"So that's why you've shut me out? For your reputation?"

"Don't say it like that. The reputation was forced on me the second I was sorted into Slytherin. I didn't want to distance myself from you, (y/n). I wanted nothing more than to do... this..."

"Do wha-" You were cut off by his hand on your cheek and his lips on yours. Gasps rang through the ballroom as you melted against him, tilting your head to deepen the kiss. Everyone was confused by the sight of Draco kissing a Gryffindor, but that didn't seem to faze him. He stayed with you.

You pulled back for air and looked up at him.

"That," he smiled.

You spent the rest of the night dancing, and the rest of Slytherin house just had to get used to being nice to you – else they answered to a very angry Draco.