Harry - Nobody's Perfect

Nobody's Perfect

Request for DreamyKawaii

"reader is bullied by Malfoy."

Fitting in was hard, especially in a place where certain people bullied you over details you couldn't control. You had no choice in how much magical blood ran through your veins or what House you were sorted into based on your dominant personality traits. You couldn't change the fact that you were a slow learner and therefore made fun of, or the fact that your very existence had been kept a secret from the magical world until you were fifteen, giving you a very late start on the journey of learning magic and moving into a world you'd never even heard of.

People didn't understand that. You weren't weird; you were just new. You learned early on that you weren't the only one being bullied, but you were one of Draco Malfoy's favorite targets since you were new and innocent and hadn't yet learned to fight back. You were having a hard time with pretty much everything magical and therefore couldn't pronounce spells properly or cast the right ones and that added fuel to Draco's fire. Not only did he have more ammo to torment you with, but you were running out of defenses.

The Golden Trio was kind to you. Hermione helped you catch up on all of the homework you didn't understand, Ron showed you around the school and made sure you didn't get lost, and Harry helped you shove off Draco's rude comments. He insisted that the blond's remarks about you being worthless and not belonging in their world were just empty words. You smiled and nodded, but deep down you weren't sure he was wrong. You constantly messed up your spells. You constantly got lost in the many halls of the school. You were constantly frightened by everyone's random use of magic and conveniently forgot that you were magical as well.

It wasn't long before you felt yourself falling for a certain brunet. You always heard the other girls giggling and fawning over their crushes, and since you were a girl they always gushed to you about watching their crushes at the game and who they hoped would ask them to the next dance. You smiled and nodded, going along with the conversation but not contributing. If you told them your crush was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team as well, it wouldn't take much deduction to figure out who it was. There were only so many players, and the only way you could attempt to hide your secret would be to deny all of them, including Harry. It was safer to not say anything and let everyone believe you didn't have a crush. It wasn't that you didn't trust the girls at this school – you did, but you didn't think you had a chance with Harry, especially with how awful you were as a witch. You didn't want word spreading around that you fancied the Boy Who Lived. It surely wouldn't end well.

"She's never shown interest in anyone," Harry pointed out as he, Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Seamus walked down the corridor to Gryffindor Tower. "Why would she be interested in me?"

"Maybe she hasn't paid attention to anyone else because she's interested in you," Seamus offered.

"She smiles more when you're around," Neville added.

"Just ask her out, mate," Ron urged with a dramatic groan. "The worst she can do is say no."

"And what am I supposed to do if she says no?" Harry countered as Seamus shouted the password at the Fat Lady in the painting. "Then she'll know I fancy her and everything will be ruined."

"You boys are so clueless," Hermione commented as they made their way into the common room. "I have a hunch that (y/n) fancies you, too, Harry."

Harry's eyes brightened. "You do?"

Hermione nodded. "I've seen the way she looks at you. She keeps saying she doesn't have a crush, but I think she's just shy. You should ask her out."

"You don't belong here," Draco sneered down at you. He had cast a spell on your books to make them go flying away from you, and he had jinxed your feet so that you tripped every time you tried to go after them.

"You don't even know how to counter a jinx," the blond continued. "You're pathetic. You're worse than a mudblood! You've been here nearly a year and haven't learned a thing!"

You found it increasingly hard to disregard his comments. He was right. You were terrible at magic, as made obvious by the fact that you were sitting on the floor with your books and notes scattered about the hallway.

"You don't even have a comeback?" Draco pressed. He raised his wand and opened his mouth, no doubt to continue tormenting you, but he was suddenly flown against the wall. You glanced up to find Harry standing alone, his wand aimed at Malfoy. Your eyes widened in surprise. Someone was saving you?

They duked it out before McGonagall stepped in, demanding that Draco report to immediate detention. She spouted off counter jinxes so that you could walk and retrieve your books, finding that Harry had already collected them for you.

"You didn't need to do that," you whispered, taking the pile back from him.

"I don't mind," he smiled, but it faltered when he saw your broken expression. "Hey. Don't listen to him. He torments everyone; don't believe what he says."

"Why shouldn't I?" you asked, looking up at him. You didn't even have the energy to raise your voice. "He's right. I'm pathetic. I can never remember spells or jinxes, much less perform them correctly. I always get lost in this blasted castle and my grades suck. I'm not meant to be a witch, at least not a good one. I should go..."

You turned away from him but stopped when you felt a hand on your wrist. You turned back in surprise.

"Please don't," he said softly. "You may not be interested but... I really like you. I was hoping that I could take you on a date sometime. Maybe we could study. I could help you catch up."

You stared at him. "You... want to go on a date with me?"

He nodded with a smile on his lips. "If that's alright."

"I... I'd love to."

He beamed and pulled you closer by your wrist. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to your cheek, leaving a blush there.

"Tonight?" he asked. "We can meet in the library."

"Tonight," you agreed with a nod and a soft smile. Holding your hand and lacing your fingers, he walked you to your dorm.

Once there, he kissed your forehead and bid you a temporary farewell, telling you how much he was looking forward to tonight.