Draco - Love Me or Hate Me

Love Me or Hate Me

Request for Kallen Walker

A/N: I'm now on AO3! http://archiveofourown.org/users/DaisyErina

"Can you do another Draco scenarios, please. Could you do a hate-love one where Draco and the reader fall in love, please."

You were a Granger. You were a filthy, know-it-all, mudblood Granger. He was supposed to hate you with every fiber of his being... So why didn't he?

He cursed himself. He wasn't supposed to fall for a Gryffindor. He was supposed to fall for his own kind – a stuck-up, pureblood Slytherin. Not you. Why did he have to fall in love with you?

You had never been particularly rude to Draco Malfoy; not like your friends were. In fact, you surprised everyone by being kind to him. You were a nice person by nature, and you didn't believe in blood pride. You often reminded him of that when he tried to tear you or your sister down for being muggleborn. It seemed to hurt Hermione more than it hurt you, and Draco quickly caught on. He wouldn't admit it to himself, or to anyone, but he liked it when you stood up to him. He liked the challenge of you not backing down. And if he were honest, he was attracted to you.

"He's no good, (y/n)," Hermione insisted for the umpteenth time as you walked with her down the corridor.

"You say that like I told you I fancy him," you replied nervously, hoping she wouldn't catch on.

"I see the way you look at him," she countered, eyeing you pointedly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you murmured, wondering if you'd finally gotten caught.

"Aha!" she cried triumphantly. "I knew it! Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because you don't like him," you explained simply. "How am I supposed to let anyone know when all of my friends dislike him?"

"I would still support you," she insisted, seeming hurt that you'd kept your crush from her.

"It doesn't matter anyway," you replied with a sigh as you reached Transfiguration class. "There's no way he's interested in me."

"No way who's interested in you?" Ron asked from behind you. The four of you- Harry had arrived with Ron- sauntered into class and took your seats. You and Hermione sat in front of Draco and Crabbe, so you tried your best to forget he was there.

"Come on," Ron pleaded from across the room. "Who were you talking about?"

"No one," you replied quickly. You could feel your cheeks burning as you looked at your desk. Hermione looked at you with sympathy in her eyes. She knew you'd never tell anyone, and she agreed that you didn't have much of a chance with the boy you fancied.

"That's the other reason I never told," you admitted when you left class and headed down to lunch. "There's no point. I just need to find someone else and move on."

"Move on from what?" a familiar voice called from behind you.
"Does the mudblood have a crush?"

You looked at your feet when the blond and his posse arrived.

"Leave her alone," your sister replied, sounding more exhausted than annoyed. Now that she knew about your feelings, she wanted to help as best she could.

"I wasn't talking to you," Draco snarled, looking from Hermione to you. "So, who is it?"

"No one," you replied nonchalantly.

"Ooh, don't want to tell me? I'll find out eventually, and then I'll tell the whole school."

"Go ahead," you replied with a shrug. "You'll never figure it out."

With that, you turned and walked away with your sister in tow.

"I'm sorry," she murmured as you entered the Great Hall.

"It's fine," you sighed. "Like I said, I just need to move on."

Draco couldn't get you out of his head. And he had tried extensively. It wasn't just the fact that you were a mudblood Gryffindor Granger. It was also that with how badly he had treated you thus far, he didn't think it likely that you would return his feelings or accept his confession. His heart both raced and dropped upon learning that you were crushing on someone. A tiny glimmer of hope shined on the chance that your crush was him, but it was outweighed by the dread that it was someone else, mostly likely a fellow Gryffindor. He had to know.

He tried asking your friends, but they always thought he was trying to find dirt to use against you, so he never got anywhere. The last few times he tried to send you a note, someone took it from you when they realized who it was from. You seemed to want to read them, but since you were never able to, Draco couldn't know for sure.

Students filed out of the Great Hall after breakfast, dejectedly making their way to first class. You walked with your sister and friends, but you weren't keeping up with the conversation. You were lost in your own world, mentally cursing yourself for not being able to forget the snarky Slytherin that had captured your attention.

"Granger!" a stern voice called. You and Hermione both looked up, but your sister went back to her business when she saw it was Draco calling out. Harry and Ron weren't so dismissive.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Ron snarled.

"I want to talk to (y/n)," the blond replied. Your eyes widened. Why you?

"What for?" Harry demanded.

"That's none of your business, Potter," Draco growled. At your sigh, his expression softened. "I just wish to speak with her alone. I won't hurt her, I promise."

The boys shared a look and eventually agreed after a hard nudge in the elbow from Hermione. The three of them walked away, leaving you and Draco relatively alone. He led you over to the window where there seemed to be an air bubble with no students crowding the area.

"What is it?" you asked gently.

He sucked in a breath. "Here goes. Will you go out with me?"

Your eyes widened. "What? Are you serious?"

He smiled softly, and you realized for the first time that he had a nice smile.

"I really like you, (y/n). I have for a while. I kept trying to send you notes, but the Weasleys kept taking them and ripping them up. I had no way to talk to you without someone interrupting."

"I thought you hated me," you replied softly. "I'm a Granger, and a muggleborn and a Gryffindor... Why would you like me?"

He leaned forward before he could stop himself, his hands resting on either side of your face. He pressed his lips to yours, which were softer than you expected. The sudden coldness of his skin sent a spark through your body.

"You're so much more than that," he whispered against your lips. "You're beautiful, and smart, and you stand up to me. No one ever stands up to me, not like you do. You don't try to be mean back; you just try to keep the peace. I love that about you."

You blushed and leaned into the hand on your cheek. "Do you know why I never tried to be mean back?"

He looked into your eyes, awaiting your answer.

"I had a crush on you," you admitted. "I didn't think I had a chance, but I couldn't bring myself to be mean."

He smiled brightly. "I ask again: Will you go out with me?"

You nodded. "Absolutely."

He leaned in and kissed you again, reluctantly pulling away when you realized it was time for class. You made your way down the hall and ignored the grin on Hermione's lips when you walked into class with her. You promised to tell her everything later.