Neville - How I Met Your Mother

How I Met Your Mother
Request for gratefullgoddess
AN: Guys, I don't mind taking requests (obviously) on any of my stories (except Avengers cuz they're closed right now) but please word it like a request: "could you write this?" or "I would love it if..." Please don't comment with "you should write this." That makes it sound demanding like the hundreds of stories I've already written haven't been enough. I'm also not taking random suggestions. If you have a plot, request it, don't go "hey you should write this story." Then it sounds like a pushy suggestion and I don't take pushy suggestions.
"Could you please do Neville? Sort of like him telling thier children bits and pieces of how they met and fell for each other?"

You let out a soft sigh as you leaned against a tree in the courtyard. It was thick and smooth and made a nice wall to support your back as you poured all of your attention into your Herbology notes. It was your worst subject, but you couldn't afford to repeat the year, so you had to pass. Taking care of the plants was fine; your project scores were amazing. It was your test scores that killed your grade. You panicked when tests came around and all of the terms you'd spent week studying got mixed in your mind and you completely bombed.
You were too lost in your notes to hear approaching footsteps thudding against the freshly (magically) mowed grass, and you jumped in surprise when a soft male voice greeted you.
"Hi, (y/n)," Neville said awkwardly. "What are you doing out here?"
"Studying," you replied without looking up. You couldn't afford to be distracted. You had another test in just a week; you needed all the study time you could get.
"Studying what?" he inquired with genuine interest, plopping down beside you and leaning over so he could see the papers in your lap.
"Herbology," you replied, momentarily forgetting that it was the brunette's best subject.
His face lit up. "Really? I could help. Professor Sprout says I'm one of her best students."
You turned to him with desperate hope in your eyes. "You'd help me? That would be fantastic."
He nodded enthusiastically. "What are you stuck on?"
"Tests," you sighed. "I manage the projects well enough; none of my plants have died or tried to eat me. I just get so confused when there's a test. All of the terms get mixed up in my head and I choose all of the wrong answers."
He nodded in understanding. He had a similar issue with Potions, though the project side of that class wasn't kind to him, either. "We could study this week, as much as you want. I promise I'll have you prepared for the test next week."
"Thank you!" you said gratefully. "Really. You don't know how much it would help me to have a study partner."
He smiled softly at you, amazed that you accepted his proposal. "It's a date then," he said before his eyes widened and he tried to correct himself. "I-I mean, a study date."
You smiled softly at his mistake, almost wishing he hadn't corrected himself.
"Maybe..." he began nervously, "if it goes well... we could try a real date..."
You leaned over to press a gentle kiss to his cheek. "That sounds great."
He beamed at you like a Christmas tree, a bright blush staining his cheeks. Your stomach grumbled and you realized it was time for lunch, and when Neville offered you his hand to help you stand, you placed your hand in his with a smile and blush of your own.

"And that was the first time I asked your mum out," Neville recalled to your young twins, (g/n) and (b/n).
"That's so sweet," (g/n) cooed, causing her father to blush and smile shyly.
"Your father's always been sweet," you commented, sitting beside him. You turned and smiled. "Remember our first official date?"

Thanks to Neville's help, you aced the next Herbology test and began getting better project scores as well. You had studied with him every day for the last week, and he managed to pluck up the courage to ask you on a proper date by the end of the week. You, of course, said yes enthusiastically, which made his day. He had been worried you'd say no, even after you bluntly hinted at it in the beginning. He was still shy and cautious and thought you were out of his league.
The test had been on a Friday, and you were eager for the date, so you planned it for lunchtime on the following day. You dressed casually in a (f/c) sweater and skinny jeans, with furry boots and a knitted hat, because it was November and it was cold enough for outerwear but still warm enough to spend the day outside.
You met Neville in the courtyard under what you had proclaimed to be your study tree; the exact spot where he'd offered to help you study and had sneakily asked you on a date. You smiled softly as you approached him, dropping down beside him before staring curiously at the picnic basket he'd brought. You had just noticed the simple black blanket that was laid out on the grass and currently under your butt. You tilted your head as you looked at Neville. He had told you that he would plan the date and refused to give you any hints.
"What's all this?" you asked.
"I thought I'd pack us a picnic," he said with a smile. He opened the basket and began pulling out its contents – homemade sandwiches, bottles of various juices, a container of strawberries (some dipped in chocolate. Your mouth watered at the thought), and more of your favorite snacks. Your heart warmed when you realized that he had packed mostly things that you had mentioned to be your favorites. You smiled at him and pecked his cheek, causing a blush to form in the spot where your lips had been.
"This is wonderful," you murmured, picking up a chocolaty strawberry. "I can't believe you remembered all this."
"I remember things that you like," he admitted with a smile, selecting a sandwich for himself. You saw a gift bag full of cookies and picked them up, quirking your brow in inquiry.
"My gran made them," he replied. "She made them for you. They arrived yesterday."
"For me?" you repeated.
He nodded. "She bakes amazing cookies. I told her your favorites and she sent some over."
"That's so sweet," you replied, your heart warmed. You opened the bag and took out a cookie, biting into it. You could see Neville watching you intently. You bit back a moan at the taste of your favorite cookie. It was the best cookie you'd ever eaten.
"I love it, all of it," you told him. "Thank you."
"You're welcome," he smiled, reaching out and resting a hand atop yours. He squeezed gently and kissed your cheek. "I hoped you'd like it."
"I love it," you repeated, leaning against his side. His hand let go of yours so his arm could wrap around your waist, holding you close. Your head rested on his shoulder as you ate another cookie. He squeezed you against him and pressed a kiss to your head.

"What about your first kiss?" your daughter asked, leaning forward as she was completely engulfed in your stories while your son pretended to be disgusted.

At the end of the date, Neville packed up the basket and walked you to your dorm. Your fingers were laced as you walked down the empty corridor. Everyone was either outside or spending time with friends, so there was hardly anyone in your way as you were walked to your room.
You stopped outside your dorm, turning to face Neville. He smiled at you and rested his hands on your waist. You nervously placed your hands on his chest and smiled up at him.
He leaned in and dipped his head, hesitating when he was a few inches away. You stood on your toes- he had gotten quite tall in his growth spurt- and closed the gap. He hugged you close by your waist, sighing softly against your lips. He pulled back before he could get carried away, smiling softly at you and resting his forehead on yours.
"Today was amazing," he whispered.
"Yes, it was," you agreed, smiling up at him.
"Can we do this again?" he requested.
"I'd love that," you replied. You stretched up to kiss him again before turning to head into your room. He bid you goodbye until dinner, turning away and dreamily stumbling back to his own dorm.

You could hear your children ewwing and awwing as you leaned into kiss your husband's lips as he finished the story.