Draco - The Girl Who Lived

The Girl Who Lived

Request for Elvhenan

"Hi! I love your stories, your writing is really pleasant to read and I wondered if you could write one for me? I was thinking about reader x draco however it would be set where Harry Potter doesn't exist, the Potters had a daughter and it was the reader. Draco would be despising the reader but she would be interested in why he is like this and they'd spend more time together just being there in silence but with an understanding for each other and in 6th year she'd catch him in the room of the requirements and they would finally talk about each other and kiss? Not confessing love or crush or asking out just realising they need each other? Thanks."

"(y/n) Potter," Minerva McGonagall called loudly, looking pointedly at you as you stood with a group of fellow first years. A silence fell over the Great Hall, only a few hushed murmurs to be heard as you made your way up the steps to the stool where students sat in order to be sorted into a House. Your posture was straight and nervous as the sorting hat was placed on your head, pondering where you truly belonged. Your eyes wandered over the room as it took its time making the decision, leaving you to wonder your fate.

"Gryffindor!" the hat yelled, and the entire Gryffindor table stood and cheered. You were excited, but part of you wished to be in Slytherin.

You had met a peculiar blond boy on the train ride, and though he seemed to hate your guts simply for being alive, you wanted to know more about him.

You hopped off the stool and made your way to the cheering table, watching as the rest of the students were sorted into their respective Houses.

That was five years ago. You were now in your sixth year, and though Draco had grown to despise you for reasons you didn't understand, you felt no ill will towards him. Rather, you were intrigued by why he acted the way he did. Was it simply because you had been sorted into a different house? Was it because you had drifted apart over the years due to the rivalry between Gryffindor and Slytherin? Had you done something to personally upset him?

When you first met on the train to Hogwarts all those years ago, you had been sure the two of you would be best friends. You agreed on so many things- not including his views on muggle-borns and blood purity- and he seemed to like you well enough. When you were first sorted into a different house, he appeared more disappointed than angry. But over the years, the more you tried to reach out to him, the further he pulled away.

"Why does Draco hate me so much?" you asked your friends as you sat in the Gryffindor common room.

"Malfoy's just a jerk," Hermione replied. You had come to realize that you were the only person that still called him Draco.

"He hates all of us," Ron added.

"He's a bully," Neville commented.

"He didn't seem that bad in first year when we met," you mused, chewing your lip. "He was actually nice to me."

"That was before he realized you were (y/n) Potter," Ron explained. "You're famous. You're the Girl Who Lived. You'll have plenty of enemies."

"Did my family do something to the Malfoys?" you wondered. "I know my parents have a history with Snape, but I haven't heard anything about Draco's family."

"The Malfoys hate everyone," Seamus shrugged. "Lucius has taught Draco to be a bigoted git. If you're not a pureblooded Slytherin, you're nothing."

You let out a sigh. There seemed to be no reason for his hatred towards you. Perhaps you would have to confront him yourself.

A week later, you confronted him in the hallway. It was practically empty, most students off doing their own thing.

"Draco," you called for him, catching his attention immediately. Even his friends called him Malfoy – why would you call him Draco?

"Why do you despise me so much?" you demanded. "What have I done to you?"

He sighed, sitting on a bench. "You haven't done anything."

"What's your problem then?" you inquired, sitting beside him.

"My family has a legacy. My father expects me to be the most important student here – to carry on his reputation. But along came you, the Girl Who Lived, and now the only way I'll be important is if I'm somehow connected to you."

"And you thought insults and ignorance was a better idea than being my friend? I thought we were friends on the train in our first year."

He sighed again. "It's my father. If I don't do and act as he says... It's not pleasant."

You placed a hand over his. "We don't have to talk or hang out. I just... I don't want to think of you as an enemy. Can we try that?"

He looked up at you with tired eyes and nodded. "Yeah, okay."

From then on, he no longer avoided you. You wouldn't necessarily greet each other in the halls or work together in class, but there was a pleasant serenity between you. When he was in a mood, he would take you by the arm and lead you somewhere private, usually outside under a tree. You would just sit in silence, enjoying each other's company. You wouldn't press the issue, and he usually wouldn't talk about it. He might give you a hint, like a mention of his father or some responsibility that he refused to share with you. But for the most part, he would rest his head on his shoulder and sigh softly, revealing how tired he truly was.

You found him in the Room of Requirement one day after classes. You had noticed how upset he'd been all day and wanted to help, but he very obviously walked away from your every attempt.

"Draco?" you called out as you spotted him. You had no idea what he was doing in there or why he had been sour all day, but you wanted to help,

He turned at the sound of your voice and visibly cringed. He clearly wanted to be alone.

"What are you doing in here?" you asked, stepping closer to him. "What's going on with you today?"

Instead of responding, he stood before you, resting his hands on either side of your face. You stared up at him curiously, wondering what he was up to.

He tilted his head and pressed his lips to yours, and you responded immediately. You placed your hands over his, holding them on your face so he couldn't shy away.

He pulled back for a breath, keeping his hands on your face and resting his forehead on yours. "I need you," he breathed. "I'm not in love with you or anything, I just... You calm me, you know? You're my rock. I need you there when my father is demanding so much from me."

You nodded. "You don't have to tell me everything. Just tell me when you're having a hard time and I'll be here."

He pulled back and draped an arm around your shoulders. You led him out of the Room of Requirement and headed out into the courtyard, which had become your comforting spot. You spent the day in a comfortable silence, sitting on the ground with Draco lying beside you, his head resting on your legs as he took a much needed nap.