Harry - Nurturing

Nurturing

Request for Lacey The Hopeful

"Do a Harry Potter one. Maybe the reader is in Hufflepuff and is a loner. The reader bumps into Harry quite a lot but they never talk."

The halls were bustling with students leaving one class and heading towards the next. No one really paid attention to where they were going. They just managed to wander out of an oncoming person's way in the nick of time and if they bumped into one another, no harm done.

You were shy and reserved, and you got picked on a lot by Slytherins. You always apologized profusely when you got in someone's way, not that they ever returned the favor. You tried to not get in people's way. Around your friends, you were confident and friendly, but around everyone else, you were stuck in a shell.

You were shuffling through the hall towards herbology class. You didn't hear the quickening footsteps behind you until the approaching student toppled into you, effectively knocking you both to the ground. You let out an, "Oof!" as your arms reached out to break your fall. Your books flew from your hands, scattering about the marble floor.

"I'm so sorry," a kind, familiar voice commented. Fingers gently wrapped around your biceps and pulled you to your feet. You dusted off your front, sighing as you saw all of your papers on the floor. Harry, who had been the one to trample you, waved his wand and gathered all of your things, floating them into your arms.

"Thank you," you murmured softly.

He smiled. "Sorry for crashing into you."

You shook your head. "It's fine. I'm used to it."

"You're going to herbology, right?"

You nodded.

He offered his arm. "May I walk with you? I'll keep everyone else from tackling you."

You let out a giggle and accepted his arm. "Thank you."

Herbology was quiet as the students waited for Professor Sprout to explain their new project. The new semester had begun and the previous assignment had ended.

Sprout began handing out small, brown tree trunks. Each one had a small green creature attached to it, so small that at first glance, you would think it a green twig. Until the twig began to move.

"These are wiggentree sprouts," the professor explained. "With each one is its guardian bowtruckle. Bowtruckles are made to protect trees and, by extension, the tree's friends. Take care of the tree and the bowtruckle will take care of you."

You were in awe as you looked at the small tree and its little green guardian. You smiled, reaching out a hand for the bowtruckle to latch onto.

"The wiggentree's bark is used in potion making, so I'm sure you've encountered it before in Snape's class. Touching the bark will also protect you from Dark Creatures, but first the bowtruckle must trust you."

Hermione raised her hand. "Professor, why are there only half as many trees as there are students?"

Sprout grinned. "Because I will partner everyone up for this assignment. There will be two students per wiggentree. Think of it as a parenting class. You and your partner must work together to nurture the tree and the bowtruckle."

You blushed at the idea. Who would she pair you up with?

"Unlike Snape," Sprout began, "I don't believe in separating the Houses. I see no reason that Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors can't be partnered together. I believe it depends on the student, not their House." She began listing pairs, and you waited anxiously for your name.

"(y/n) (l/n) and Harry Potter," she finished.

You chewed your lip as you looked up at Harry. He was smiling softly at you, showing no sign that he was disappointed by the matchup.

"I expect you all to take care of your trees and have something to report by next class," Sprout announced as class ended. Everyone was dismissed, carefully carrying their trees and truckles out into the hall.

"I suppose we should work out a schedule to take care of this little guy," you mused. "We have to decide who's going to house it and how often we'll meet up to discuss its progress."

Harry nodded. "What's your next class?"

"I have a free period."

His eyes lit up. "Me too. Want to head to the library?"

You nodded, chewing your lip nervously. "Sounds good. I know they have a lot of books about these guys."

He offered his arm and led you down the hall, weaving through the mobs of students and heading to the library. It was nearly empty, most students being in class or in their dorms.

You headed to the back of the library where a couple of comfy chairs sat, waiting to be employed. Harry got out a couple of books on wiggentrees and bowtruckles before walking over and sitting beside you.

As you read through what they liked and disliked, your gaze kept wandering to Harry. His brows were furrowed in concentration, his tongue swiping across his lower lip as he absorbed the information before him.

You leaned over the arm of the couch, trying to be as close to Harry as possible. You eventually made up a schedule, agreeing to work together every other afternoon. Every time you would meet up, you would trade who took the tree back to their dorm.

When your free period ended, it was time for lunch. You had the first shift on taking care of the tree, so you were planning to drop it off at your dorm before going to lunch. You didn't want anything to happen to it.

Harry insisted on walking you to your dorm, and you certainly weren't going to protest. Once you got there, you rushed in and set the tree gently on your bedside table, making sure it had plenty of light and warmth.

When you met Harry in the hall, he offered you his arm. With a giggle on your lips, you accepted it, letting him walk you to the Great Hall.

A few months later, the assignment was over. You and Harry were happily dating, and Professor Sprout gave everyone the option to keep their wiggentrees and guardian bowtruckles. Yours had grown impressively, and your bowtruckle had taken a liking to hiding in your sweater pocket.

You sauntered down the hall with Midori, your bowtruckle, protruding from your pocket. It liked being able to see what you were doing. You had become much more confident since growing close to Harry; you no longer cowered when you bumped into people and you didn't shy away from conversation.

A certain brown-haired boy saw you in the hall and squeezed between other students to reach you. You smiled up at him as you made your way to Potions. His hand wrapped around yours, your fingers intertwining. He brought your hand to his lips and kissed it gently, smiling at you.

As you entered the class, you turned to peck his lips before taking your seat. He sat across from you, beside Ron, sneaking glances and blowing kisses whenever he could. You smiled and began scribbling down notes, sighing softly to yourself.

Halfway through class, Midori crawled out of your pocket and jumped to Harry's table, crawling into his hair. You giggled to yourself, happy at how things had turned out all thanks to a herbology assignment.