Ron - I Can Love You Better

I Can Love You Better
Request for Jordynn
"Ron one-shot please. If it isn't too much to ask. The reader and Ron are close friends and ever since Hermione, the reader was jealous of all the time he spent not with her (which was a lot) They get in a fight about it." and during it she screams that she can't believe she fell for him.

You had been a first-year Gryffindor with the golden trio which almost guaranteed your friendship with them. You felt attached to them right away, and with your stubborn mentality and adventurous spirit, you were more than happy to be involved in the shenanigans that Hermione so desperately protested. Sure, you were afraid of getting into trouble, but the adrenaline rush of walking the forbidden corridor after curfew was more than worth a detention or two.
Around forth year, you began developing a crush on one member of the group, and another knew about it. You shared a room with Hermione, so it was inevitable that she would discover your secret, not that you were very good at being secretive anyway. She had raised a surprised brow when you admitted defeat, and she promised not to tell Harry or Ron what she had learned. You knew she would keep that promise. She might be a know-it-all, but she wasn't a tattletale unless rule breaking was involved.
The boys were oblivious to your newfound feelings for the ginger wizard, and you intended to keep it that way. You were sure he wouldn't return your affections, and you couldn't bear to face the rejection; not to mention the loss of a friend. You had often felt the urge to scream at him at the top of your lungs, confessing how you felt, when you saw him flirting with another girl. But you held yourself back. What good would that do but embarrass you and drive him away? You couldn't have that. So you and Hermione kept the word between you and Hermione.

When you got to sixth year, hiding your affections became a lot harder as Ron began looking for outlets for his hormones. He went through several girlfriends, though they were all short lived. When he began spending all of his free time with Hermione, more than he spent with you or Harry, you began to wonder about his intentions.
Hermione was still your roommate, and she assured you every day that there was nothing romantic between her and the ginger. You weren't convinced. You knew Hermione wouldn't try to hurt you, but you had no idea how Ron felt about you, and it wasn't entirely crazy to think he could have a crush on your brainiac friend.
You began avoiding Ron, not that he noticed. He spent as much time as he could with Hermione, and it made it harder for you to contain your true feelings about the situation. Harry eventually pieced it together and asked you about it, and you broke down with a heavy sigh and explained to the brunette how you'd had a crush on the ginger since forth year. Harry offered as much comfort as he could, trying to reassure you of what Hermione had said, but no such luck. You were inconsolable.
You wouldn't even so much as offer him a glance anymore. Hermione and Harry noticed the new cold shoulder you were giving your mutual friend, and they often shared exasperated sighs when you blatantly ignored Ron. You were sure he wouldn't care. Who was he dating now? Some Hufflepuff, last you checked. Not that you were keeping tabs on him...

Potions class had just ended. You were seated beside Hermione, one table ahead of Ron and Harry. You stood abruptly when Snape dismissed the class, gathering your books and preparing to head out to the hall. You had a free period after Potions, so you were planning to study for the test you had in Transfiguration later on.
"(y/n)," Ron said suddenly as you brushed past him to get out of the room. You froze at the sound of his gruff voice, suddenly afraid of turning around to face him.
Harry and Hermione stood to the side.
"Why have you been ignoring me?" he demanded.
He noticed?
"Why does it matter?" you countered, turning to look at him.
"We're supposed to be friends," he reminded as though it were obvious. "Then you just started ignoring me like you're too good for me."
"You're the one running around with a different girl every week," you argued, your anger rising. "I've tried to hang out with you but all that seems to matter to you is Hermione and whatever lonely girl decides to go out with you!"
"So I'm not allowed to have a girlfriend anymore if I want you to be my friend? What kind of agreement is that?"
Your heart cringed at the word "friend," knowing that was all you were. "I want to be your friend, Ron, I want-" You cut yourself off before an unwanted confession tumbled out. "I just wish I could hang out with you too. When you're not with your current girlfriend you're with Hermione. If I didn't know better I'd think she was your girlfriend too."
You glanced at the girl behind Ron out of habit, and she shook her head rapidly to confirm that she and Ron were just friends. Harry let out a sigh as though he knew something you didn't.
"So what if she was?" the ginger asked. "Would it be a problem if Hermione was my girlfriend?"
Hermione raised a brow behind him, also as though she knew something you didn't.
"It wouldn't matter to me," you lied, letting out a groan. "You know what? This is stupid. I can't believe I fell for you, Weasley! You treat me like dirt and when I tell you why you act like it's all my fault!"
He was about to reply when he realized what you'd said. Harry and Hermione's dropped jaws let you know that those words had really just come out of your mouth, which you quickly clamped a hand over before you said anything more. Without letting him respond, you turned on your heel and bolted down the hall to your dorm.

As you lied curled in on yourself on your bed, a small paper crane fluttered through the keyhole of your door and landed on your pillow. You reached up with one hand to pick it up and open it, instantly recognizing Ron's chicken scratch handwriting.
We need to talk. Please. Courtyard after lunch?
It wasn't signed. It didn't need to be. You sighed softly and sat up. In a few minutes lunch would be starting, and you realized that you were starving. You stood and smoothed out your clothing, pulling your skirt down to cover your thighs properly and straightening the sleeves of your shirt. You slid your arms into the sleeves of your robe and tightened your tie, finger-combing your hair as you left your room.

After lunch, which was very awkward with the entire Gryffindor table staring at you in confusion and interest, you hesitantly made your way to the courtyard. Ron was already there, leaning against a tree. The ghost of a smile fell on his lips when he saw you approaching.
"I wasn't sure you'd come," he admitted. "I didn't think you wanted to see me."
"I thought it would be you that didn't want to see me," you replied softly, stopping in front of him.
"Let's not beat around the bush," he said, causing you to look up at him from where you had been staring at your toes. "Did you mean what you said? About falling for me?"
A furious blush stained your cheeks and you bit your lip. "Would you still be my friend if I said yes?"
His hands came up to cup your cheeks, spreading warmth on your skin. You leaned into his touch, not realizing how much you'd missed it. He tilted your head up and tilted his own, leaning in to press his surprisingly soft lips to yours. You gasped in response but didn't pull away like he'd feared. The hands on your face held you close as his lips molded perfectly over yours. You responded in kind, resting your hands on his arms and pulling him closer.
He pulled back with a breath and smiled at you. "I never dated Hermione."
"I know," you nodded. "She would have told me if you did."
"Do you want to know why I spent so much time with her and not with you?"
You looked up at him and nodded cautiously.
"I've had a crush on you since forth year," he explained, brushing some hair out of your eyes. "This year I decided to buck up and do something about it. So I've been talking to Hermione, asking her for help on asking you out. I've been avoiding you because I'm in love with you, (y/n). I just didn't know if I had a chance."
You let out a breathy laugh and wrapped your arms around his waist. "I've loved you since forth year too."
He chuckled and leaned in, capturing your lips again. You responded immediately, sighing softly against his lips when his hand tangled in your hair. You didn't care if anyone found you out here, making out with Ron Weasley. You only cared about him.