Chapter Nine

Viviana Pov.

  I woke up to the sound of the noise coming from the kitchen. The heavenly smell of bacon invades my nose. Wait a minute?  Who's cooking?  What time is it? I shift my eyes to the alarm on my nightstand. No, no, no. God, no. It's 10:45. I'm dead. He'll fire me. I was so upset with him for not texting me to thank me for the soup that I didn't sleep until two this morning.

      I feel like breaking my alarm. But I see all of these snoozes that I missed.

    I grab a pair of black pants into the closet with one hand. The other is occupied with brushing my teeth.

      I kick the couch in my room. The only shirt to clothe with these pants is dirty. Please, God.

    I decided to wear a red spaghetti shirt with a black jacket. I didn't want to wear a suit this morning. I wore one to work yesterday. Yes, the same coat.

    Not taking a shower, I change my underwear. After, I pull my hair into a messy ponytail.

   After dressing up, I apply a little powder to my visage. Grabbing my bag, I close the door and enter the living room.

     My dad is sitting in a wheelchair with an apron in his lap. Was he cooking? Mrs Johnson was standing next to him. I halt my step, looking at him.

      "I'm sorry for yelling at you, honey. So I prepare your breakfast this morning." I place my hand on my heart. A little sob escapes my mouth with no warning.

     I walk into him. I kneel in front of him. And place my head on his lap so he can scratch my scalp. He does. I kiss him.

        "Dad, that's so sweet, but I'm late for work already. I won't be able to eat. I'm sorry." I apologize in a small, disappointed voice.

     He smiles at me before taking my hand into his.

       "It's okay. Go." He says. I look at him for a second. Searching for any sign of hurt, but nothing appears. So I walk out before kissing Mrs Johnson, leaving them alone.

     The minute I enter the building, my heart begins pounding. My sight jumps to Abby. Her face is paler than usual. Poor Abby. I want to walk to his office, but I must apologize to Abby.

     When she sees me, a small, tight smile approaches the corner of her lip.

       "Good morning. I'm sorry for all the shouting you must endure for my tardiness." She shrugs her shoulder and smiles.

         "It's okay. Just go." I nod. Walking to the elevator.

    I cannot even fathom how much trouble I am in. My heart hurts. I cannot endure any more shouting from him.

      The other day, he called me stupid in front of the building because I didn't know what to say to a seller. Who was bothering him?

        I want to quit. But the salary is excellent. And my dad needs the surgery. I don't want to leave this job and have difficulty finding a new one.

           Once the bing from the elevator announces my arrival, I walk out of the elevator. But I froze. My heart is pounding. My head feels like there are a million sacks of sand on it. A small tear dropped to my cheeks. I quickly dry it.

       He's sitting in front of his desk. The red tie loose around his chemise. His hands are crossing over his chest.

     I enter his office. His glare only holds disgust, hatred, disappointments, and all the hurtful things you can think of.