Chapter Ten, Loss

Start from the beginning

I step closer to Nyx. Nyx is trying to hold his tears in.

“But I’ve known you guys since we were seven!”

“Yeah. But she never remembered how she got it.”

Nyx looked down.

 I swear I could see a tear in Axel’s eye. He was frowning and his hands were crossed on his chest.

Nyx walked closer to me.

“She never remembered anything that happened before we met you.”

Nyx looked hard at Zavion.

“It’s because of him, that Avalon never had complete thoughts.” Nyx hatefully pointed at Zavion.

There was so much sadness and hate in the room.

“How about Colleen?” Zavion and Nyx turned to me.

“That was something that I asked a telepath to put in her head.” Nyx looked up back at me. “Colleen isn’t real.”

Zavion laughed and ruffled Nyx’s hair, playfully. Nyx didn’t try to push him away.

“My son’s learning how to play with heads!” Zavion happily and evily said.

Just then Byron ran from the right door and grabbed my hand. He whispered, run. I kept running and running. We ran through the left door and Axel, Nyx and Zavion started chasing us. The hallways were dark and terribly lit, but there was nothing in the halls. The place was like a huge maze. I looked back and Axel and Nyx were right there tailing us. Nyx looked sad and he looked in pain. I tried to look behind them, but no Zavion. I wonder where he went. Maybe the old man got tired and-

“What were you going to do once you got out?”

I turned to Byron, to see why we stopped. Zavion was over there, with two bodyguards with black suits and black shades. I looked around; we had stopped at a hallway intersection. I looked at Byron. The stripes started growing on his cheeks again. The stripes are all pointing to the middle of his head. He was growling.

“We'd be freaking happy, that we’re away from you guys again!” I shouted.

Zavion smiled.

“Do you remember how you got out in the first scenario?”

I looked confusedly at him.

“We woke up in Raze’s car.”

“No. Do you remember how you ‘escaped’?”

Byron and me looked at each other slightly confused.

Axel and Zavion chuckled.

“You’ve never escaped. That was all an extra experiment to see how’d you do outside.”

Zavion glared at Nyx while Nyx looked away. “It was only supposed to be in one day but ‘someone’ couldn’t monitor properly and let you get away.”

Nyx sighed impatiently. But the last three days of what I thought was freedom, we were just really toyed with. All my enjoyment was a lie. I suppose that Zavion just put fake memories in Raze. I wonder how she is. My face with distraught caught Byron’s eye.

“That’s really all you failures are good for.” Axel said and laughed. Byron took his claws out and began madly slashing at Axel. Axel found a water fountain nearby and used the water as blades. Zavion took me from behind, as I was watching Byron struggle to break the ice blades that Axel froze. I kept struggling. I closed my eyes, as Zavion got close enough to my ear to whisper and keep my hands together at my back.

“Don’t you want to know who your parents are?” I opened my eyes as silver eyes and took my claws out. Taking my claws out hurt Zavion’s hands. Zavion pushed me forward as he shrieked to ‘comfort’ his hands. Then he smiled, painfully at me.

“Don’t you want to know why we sealed you?”

I head for his neck with my claws. My pointer claw is at his neck. I push him back to the wall. I smile at the side of my mouth as I see him struggling to move away from my reach. He stopped and got to my ear. He smiled.

“Don’t you want to know about you past?” My eyes widened. I backed away as I put my claws away. Zavion stepped forward triumphantly. I stared coldly at him. I’d rather know about my old life than end up with a bloody mess. My heart is slowing down. My head feels light. I keep backing away till I feel a warm grip on my right arm. I slightly turn my head to see Nyx pull me another way. I can’t see which way. Everything’s getting blurry.

     We fast walked towards one of the ways in the intersection. I looked back and Zavion just watched me leave and smiled. I back towards the way where Nyx was leading me. I felt the tight squeeze on my arm. At the same time, I felt the agonizing burn on my left hand. At the end of the hallway was a glass door. And beyond that glass door? All I could see was white light.

My only girl best friend was taken from me. I was shaking, still. I kept stumbling as Nyx helped me go through this long hallway. He kept looking back once in a while to give me a reassuring smile. It was weak and fake. I can see through that fake reassurance and smile. He’s hurt too. In the inside, he’s screaming in pain. His face was a sad sillouhette against the light that we were nearing.

Why God? Why did she have to die? Avalon was living a lie for most of her short life. Avalon- one of the only family members that actually cared for Nyx, and his twin sister, the other girl that made Byron smile, my only girl best friend and my kind and caring childhood companion- is dead.