Chapter Two, Lost

Chapter Two, Lost

I wake up panting . . . again. I’ve always had a weak heart ever since they gave me that darn leopard DNA. I wake up in a car. I turn to my left; Avalon is looking outside, happily. To my right, Byron gives me a smile, happy that I woke up. I’m still a little dizzy from the number of drugs they gave me this week. Apparently we're at the back seats of a car. I look at the grey driver’s seat. The girl driving looks at the mirror and sees me. Then she smiles.

“Oh good! You’re finally awake!” The girl’s big brown eyes lit up.

She parked on the right side of the road and she turned to look at me. I lean on Avalon to look through her window. It's misty outside and theres a forest. The pine trees look like they're bending over the road to watch who's driving. It's a little bright from the full moon but not sunny yet. My eyes shift from the window to the digital clock at the front of the car; it's 2:34 A.M.

“This is my step-sister, Raze.” I turn to my right to Byron as he looked at me with a smile. 

“She helped us escape!" Avalon playfully giggled. " You were still passed out so Byron had to carry you.”

As I heard Avalon’s voice speak this, I started to blush. Byron carried me. The thought rang through my head and through my pride. I'm not really used to depending on other people.

“Anyway, we still have to get home.” Raze started driving again and the car was driving through a forest. I look around the spacious car. One persons missing.

“Where’s Nyx?” I asked. Everyone stayed in silence. After sometime, Avalon spoke.

“We had to leave him.” I looked at Avalon worriedly as her voice shook. Her eyes started to water up.

“Its because he . . .didn’t want to come.” Byron, regretfully said. I looked at Byron in shock.

“Do you remember the nursery at the Main hallway?”

I look at a flashback ,before I got to the facility, a few years back. I walked in the white building, in hand cuffs to my back, and to my left there was a nursery full of toddlers that could do things from baking a cake to levitating with their minds. I stopped to watch them through the glass walls, but one of the guards behind me kicked my leg. I guess that meant, go.

“Yeah. What about it?”

Avalon started to cry.

“Nyx and I have a cousin there.” Avalon said. Byron stayed silent, as I gasped in horror.

“She’s all we have, Xena! He was scared to find out what PARADOX would do to her.”

PARADOX. I remember now. That’s the name of the organization. I glanced at Raze, her face was full of worry.

“And also,” Byron began to say, “He became PARADOX’S new favorite. They marked him, on his arm.”

That’s why his arm was so bloody. There was silence throughout the ride to Razes’s home. The only sound we could hear was the sobbing of Avalon and the sound of the night; owls, bugs, and the usual animal sounds.

Everyone lightened a little when we got to Raze’s beautiful home. It was big and it was full of plants. It looked like it should've been for a greek queen. It had its own garden maze and a pool. But we couldn’t get over the fact that we had lost a friend.