Chapter 19: Weighing of Wands

Start from the beginning

"Ron? What are you doing here?" Hermione pushed her chair a few feet away from the table to face him. He emerged from the shadows of the enclosing bookshelves, and into the small nook.

"I heard them talking... you know, the day the names were picked out of the Goblet," Ron stopped, "Harry's still not my friend, do you understand? But you are... and you deserve to know..."

"What are you talking about, Ron?"

"I think... I think I know what the first task in the Tournament is... I heard them talking about something in the woods..."

"Ron?" Hermione rested her hand on his shoulder, rising from her chair. Her eyes were filled with panic, the tension scaring her. 'What is he talking about?' With shaky breaths, she whispered in a hushed tone, "What did they say?"

"... Dragons."

________________________________________________________________________________

Percy had to admit, it was quite hilarious hearing Harry shout through the closed door, "My scar isn't that ugly!" or "Hey, my eyes aren't swimming with the ghosts of my past!" Well, apparently Percy should've concentrated harder to see what the quill was writing... but that was overcome with snickers from the other champions.

"Oh, ze drama ze must cause!" Fleur even managed to giggle, as they eavesdropped through the rickety old door to the closet.

Cedric managed to say, "She wrote a nasty column about Dumbledore a while ago... can't believe any of that stuff is real... still don't." Harry snapped back a third time, and Cedric almost rolled over laughing.

Viktor remained silent, but a small smile quickly grew on his never-changing face.

Percy nodded just as Dumbledore and a second man walked through the door. He had the usual twinkle in his eye as he entered the classroom, but it was the second man who was a complete stranger to Percy. His pale and silvery eyes made him seem quite wise as he rubbed his skeletal, vampire-complexioned hands together. He smiled at the champions full-heartedly, as Dumbledore quickly dragged Harry out of the broom closet.

No, he didn't literally grab him. He merely opened the door, and Harry scrambled out desperately sighing with relief. He then had a few quick words with Rita as she and her photographer scurried outside. Finally it was only him, the stranger, and the other competitors in the room. Dumbledore slowly formed a grin on his face,

"Let the Weighing of the Wands begin."

________________________________________________________________________________

Harry slid quietly into one of the chairs along the wall, along with the rest of the competitors. Percy was kind of late getting the message, but he too sat in the line of chairs.

Mr. Ollivander began with Fleur's wand, as he walked forward he explained, "It is custom for the 3 competitors, well... perhaps 5 this particular year, to have their wands inspected to see if they are in proper care for the Triwizard Tournament." At this point he had reached for Fleur's wand and held it up in the air. He muttered something, but because he was in the far corner next to Percy, he couldn't quite hear.

Then there was Viktor, he handed him his wand reluctantly. Harry did manage to recognize 'dragon heartstring,' and '10 and a quarter inches,' but he was still too far to hear clearly.

He then approached Cedric sitting in his chair, "Yes, I remember it well. Containing a single hair from the tail of a particularly fine male unicorn... must have been seventeen hands; nearly gored me with his horn after I plucked his tail. Twelve and a quarter inches... ash... pleasantly springy. It's in fine condition.... You treat it regularly?"