#Unit_Lesson 39: Sentence Types

~ Sentence Types:

Korean has four main sentence types: declarative, interrogative, imperative, and propositive. Moreover, the sentence type is influenced by Korean speech styles, which can be divided into three main types: formal polite, informal polite, and informal plain. The formal polite style –(스)ㅂ니다 is used most in formal of public situations, including the military, news reporting, presentations, meetings and lectures. The informal polite style -아/어요 is the honorific form used most in daily life. Compared to the formal polite style, the informal polite style is softer and less formal, and therefore it is used mainly among family members, friends, and other close acquaintances. Furthermore, although the formal polite style has different forms for each of the four sentences types (declarative, interrogative, imperative, and propositive), the informal polite style uses the same form for all four types. Thus, sentence types in this style are determined by the situation and sentence intonation. For this reason, the informal polite style is less complicated that the formal polite style. As for the informal plain style -아/어, it is mainly used among intimate friends, by superiors toward persons of lower-rank, and among family members. It is considered rude to use the informal plain style with somebody one does not know personally or with whom one is not very close. Here we examine the formal polite and informal polite styles only.

(1) Declarative Sentence

Declarative sentences are used when explaining something or responding to a question.

~ Formal Polite Style

Declarative formal polite sentences are made by adding –(스)ㅂ니다 to the word stem.

· 저는 학교에 갑니다. I go to school.

· 저는 빵을 먹습니다. I eat bread.

~ Informal Polite Style

Declarative informal polite sentences are made by adding –아/어요 to the word stem.

· 저는 학교에 가요. I go to school.

· 저는 빵을 먹어요. I eat bread.

(2) Interrogative Sentence

Interrogative sentences are used when asking a question.

~ Formal Polite Style

Interrogative formal polite sentences are made by adding –(스)ㅂ니까? to the word stem.

· 학교에 갑니까?? Do you go to school?

· 빵을 먹습니까?? Do you eat bread?

~ Informal Polite Style

Interrogative informal polite sentences are made by adding – to the word stem. Because they have the same form as the declarative sentences, they are made interrogative by being spoken with a rising intonation at the end of the sentence (and also by adding question mark to the written form).

· 학교에 가요? Do you go to school?

· 빵을 먹어요? Do you eat bread?

(3) Imperative Sentence

Imperative sentences are used when making a demand or giving advice.

~ Formal Polite Style

Imperative formal polite sentences are made by adding –(으)십시오 to the word stem.

· 공책에 쓰십시오. Please write in your notebook.

· 책을 읽으십시오. Please read the book.

~ Informal Polite Style

Imperative informal polite sentences can be made by adding –아/어요 to the word stem, just like in the other sentence types described above. However, using –(으)세요 in place of –아/어요 is considered a more polite expression, and therefore –(으)세요 should be used.

· 공책에 쓰세요. Please write in your notebook.

· 책을 읽으세요. Please read the book.

(4) Propositive Sentence

Propositive sentences are used when making a suggestion or agreeing with someone else’s suggestion.

~ Formal Polite Style

Propositive formal polite sentences are made by adding –(으)ㅂ시다 to the word stem. –(으)ㅂ시다 can be used when the person being spoken to is younger or the same age as the speaker. It cannot be used when speaking to a superior. It is considered improper etiquette to use this expression toward a superior or elder.

· 11시에 만납시다. Let’s meet at 11 o’clock.

· 여기에서 점심을 먹읍시다. Let’s eat lunch here.

~ Informal Polite Style

Propositive informal polite sentences are made by adding –아/어요, just like in the other sentences types described above.

· 11시에 만나요. Let’s meet at 11 o’clock.

여기에서 점심을 먹어요. Let’s eat lunch here.

The preceding sentence types are summarized below using the verb 가다(to go).