Chapter 26

(Ezra's POV)

When I opened my eyes, I was blinded by a light.

Where am I?

"Welcome back, Mr. Fitzgerald." A doctor in blue scrubs greeted me and I just raised an eyebrow. What the heck am I doing in a hospital room and where in the world is my wife?

"Sir, you were brought here because the restaurant was filled with chloroform gas that's why all of the staff and the guests were immediately brought here. The police are now investigating who and why they did that. For now, just rest." The doctor said.

"Where's my wife? Is she okay?" I interrogated the doctor.

"What's the name of your wife, sir?"

"Aria Fitzgerald."

The doctor left the room as the nurse went in and checked my vitals. Then I remember that I never saw Aria return to our table because she excused herself to go to the ladies' room.

After a minute passed, the doctor entered the room again.

"Sir, we don't have a patient checked in named 'Aria Fitzgerald'." The doctor said incredulously as if he thinks I'm making up things.

All of sudden, someone knocked on the door and when it opened, a man wearing a brown pea coat and brown hat entered.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Fitzgerald. May I come in?" The man asked permission and I nodded. He looks like a stereotypical private investigator with his get-up so maybe he'll brief me about the situation and what happened.

"I'm Detective Arthur Jacobs and I'm here to brief you of the whereabouts of your wife." Detective Arthur said.

"Of course, all food franchise companies makes sure to have a head count when an accident happens as such what happened. When they re-counted the numbers of guests they have, they don't have the remaining two. Per table, they get at least one guest's name and how many they are in the table. One table was named for you and you had a company of one. And the other table only had one occupant and that was named to a certain Noel Kahn." The detective explained and somehow, I didn't like where this discussion is going and my hunch is getting the best of me. Lord, please tell me that it's not what my runaway mind is thinking!

"They are still missing until now, sir. Do you have any idea if they have any connection whatever it might be and where they could be now?" He asked and I was bewildered.

"How long was I out?" I turned to the doctor and asked.

"About 19 hours already, sir. The chloroform was a really strong one but you are one of the first people the wake up after inhaling the gas." The doctor released the statistics.

"Then where the hell is my wife?" I shouted both at the men tending to my care right now.

"That's the reason why we're investigating, Mr. Fitzgerald. Also, there are six women and two men waiting for you outside saying that they're your relatives. May I let them in so I can debrief them too?" I just nodded, too weak to say anything knowing that my wife and my twins that she's carrying could be gone forever.

The crew walked in and looked as if Satan showed himself to them with their stressed and worried faces.

"Hey Ezra, how are you?" Mike asked and gave a tight smile.

"Miserable."

He let out a humorless laugh.

"I think we're all the same."

~

After having another vitals check-up, I was finally released from the hospital and Detective Arthur came back home with us. We all decided to just stay at the Montgomery residence as we brainstorm the possible whereabouts of Noel Kahn and Aria. We also informed his parents so they could help us find him.