Chapter 8

“ARIA!” Hanna screamed at the top of her lungs when she saw me. Gosh, Hanna’s voice just made my eardrums bleed. Ezra and I were still panting from our fits of laughter, moments before Em, Spence, and Han came in.

“Hey guys.” I said happily, seeing them again. There was a moment in my life that almost killed me and I was lucky to cheat death and I almost left the ones I love without telling them I love them or that I appreciate here for me. “You guys know I love you and I don’t know what I’ll do without you, right?” I said and I felt tears prick my eyes but I didn’t want to release the unshed tears in front of everyone.

“Yeah, yeah. I love you too, short stuff.” Spencer said but the way her voice cracked when she finished her sentence, she’s just trying to keep her cool and I smile and snort at the same time as my mind processed what she told me. Short stuff, huh?

“I love you too, Ar. I don’t like you scaring us like that ever again, okay?” Emily sobbed while Spencer is side-hugging her, making Spencer’s white top damp in the shoulder area.

“I love you too, shorty.” Hanna said as she hands me something.

“What is this?” I asked and they all shrugged at the same time.

“Why don’t you open it?” Ezra asked me and I smile at him, he’s probably right and that was a very stupid question for me to ask anyway.

“What part of ‘don’t’ stress her out’ don’t you understand, Fitz?” Hanna threw at Ezra.

“I was just—“

“Ezra, no. It’s okay, really. Han, he didn’t even stress me. Truth is, we were laughing for like, half an hour before you guys arrived.” I told Hanna but she just rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, a familiar stance I knew all too well. She wasn’t going to back down.

“But still!” Hanna stubbornly argued and I don’t like her bad mouthing my Ezra. Wow, saying ‘my’ is still overwhelming, the fact that he’s mine.

“Han, it’s obvious that you don’t like Ezy but try not to show it too much, please? I’m still in the room.” I scolded Hanna but she shot me a weird look.

“Ezy is your nickname for Fitz? Pfft.” Hanna mocked and Ezra frowned. Not because his name was being laughed at but because I didn’t like it.

“Hanna, you are the one stressing her.” Ezra said in my expense and I squeezed his hand and when he looked at me, he squeezed it back and smiled at me.

“These two lovers can’t even keep their hands off each other.” Spencer smirked and Emily just stood there, with unfathomable eyes.

“Where’s mom and dad? Mike?” I ask and they smile at me because I was worried. I don’t normally show it when I’m worried.

“Eating at Burger King. Ella gave us the chance to see you first because they haven’t had lunch yet and considering that’s the nearest food chain here, they ate there.” Emily said and I pout while looking at Ezra.

“Pookie, don’t give me that look.” Ezra chuckled lightly because when I make that face, he knows I need or want something from him.

“Pookie? Are you guys even real?” Hanna scoffed and started to laugh. I know our nicknames for each other aren’t sweet as compared to hers and Caleb’s but…

“What’s your problem, Han?” Spencer asked, clearly annoyed at Hanna’s behavior.

“I mean, they’re like, what? Twenty-odd something years old and they call each other baby names!” Hanna said in between her laughs. Ezra facepalmed and I laugh at his reaction. He doesn’t tolerate annoying people like Hanna but since she’s my best friend, I have to handle her crap.