Chapter 3

I woke up with a smile on my face. It’s not just any Saturday morning today. It’s Ezra and I’s third anniversary. I think being with him for three years taught me how life and love works and blends together in a perfect harmony. I even dreamt about the first time we met.

I know that our date would be this afternoon but I’m too excited to see him so I decided to surprise him. Instead of going to his place after noon, I’ll go to his now so we could spend more time together. Since he’s teaching English Major, his career takes most of his time and I always tend to wait for him in his apartment. I enjoy our times whenever we’re outside his apartment because everything felt… real. We’re not on our small and private bubble anymore. We could show people how much we love each other and I’m gonna do that.

***

“Aria, honey, slow down, you might choke on your food!” Ella warned. It’s not my fault I’ve been eating my pancakes with such a hurry.

“I won’t, mom!” I said with my mouth full and I heard Mike groaned.

“Don’t talk when your mouth is full, Aria.” Mike scoffed and I restrained myself on grabbing his collar and ask him face to face, “Look who’s talking!”

Today is a perfect day and no one should give me a reason to frown.

                                On the way to Ezra’s apartment, I stopped by Panda Express to buy some Chinese take-out which is his favorite. He’s actually a bad influence to me because he’s forcing me to eat some Chinese food and I’m a vegan.

I practically ran out of the store and drove to Ezra’s. I sound too eager and excited but who won’t, right? This is our first anniversary that we’d celebrate out on the public so I’ll make the most out of it. Since Ezra gave me his spare key and decided to stop putting it under his doormat, I didn’t need to knock. I knocked a bit and then when I opened the door, the smell of garlic being fried welcomed me and I got suspicious. Ezra didn’t know how to cook so who the hell was using the kitchen? But before I could get there, a woman came out of the kitchen.

“Holy crap!” I screamed and then she screamed back in terror.

“Are you trespassing?” The lady asked and I had the grace to squirm. Me? Trespass in Ezra’s apartment? Excuse you.

“No, I’m Aria—Aria Montgomery.” I stammered and she looked at me with a who-the-hell-cares look but she smiled out of being polite.

“I’m Maggie Cutler, Ezra’s ex-fiancée and—“she stopped as Ezra arrived with a gawk and a boy who’s holding his hand—“that’s Malcolm, our son.”

I almost fainted right there on the spot.

A son?

Ezra has a son?

My mind stopped functioning and I lost every single bit of my brain because it cannot process this lady just told me.

Ezra had a son with a woman?

The lady was quite pretty, much too my distaste. If she’s pretty, Ezra could easily fall in love with her meanwhile I’m me… plain Jane.

“A-Aria?” Ezra rasped out and I barely contained my feelings. I felt betrayed. I felt that my world has completely fall apart.

 “I didn’t know you had a son, Mr. Fitz.” I said and I hated how I sounded so hurt. I mean, come on! His ‘ex-fiancée’ and their son were present. He longed for me and reached for me but it was too late.

Everything was.

I ran out of his apartment, his life with tears spilling out of my ‘fresh pair of eyes’. Maybe it was all a mistake. My love for him. Our relationship.

This is the thing I treasured the most and I can’t believe that it would all just go to waste.

Ezra ran after me and shouting my name, probably begging to come back there but who in their right minds would go back in your lover’s apartment with his ex and his son, right?

“Aria!” Ezra called out which stopped me from my tracks.

“What?” I scream and turned around. We might be a meter apart but… so close, yet so far.

“Let me explain!” Ezra begged and I laughed humorlessly. How could be the best day of my life turn upside down within a millisecond?

“What is there left to explain, Mr. Fitz? That you’re gonna get married anytime soon and you have a son? What more lies could you tell me?” I cried and he walked to me. “Stop right there!” I scream at him.

“I better get slapped with the truth rather than be kissed with a lie.” I barely said and he stiffened.

“Aria, please. You haven’t even heard my side yet!” Ezra said and he was having an inner battle. Oh, how I knew what’s happening.

“Considering that you’re A before, you could easily manipulate everything.” I bitterly spat and I saw anger flash in his eyes. And he has the grace to get angry?

I turned to my car and Ezra ran after me. Thankfully, the engine started and I zoomed away from his apartment… from him.

I bawled my eyes out in an unladylike manner and my handkerchief was damp because of my tears already. It was hard for me to drive with only one hand since I was using my other hand to wipe my tears and suddenly, everything became black.

((EZRA’S POV))

It’s official.

She hated me and you know what? She just walked away from me during our third anniversary. I mentally beat the shit out of me when I saw her reaction to what Maggie said. Hurt, betrayal, anger, disappointment and other legion of emotions flashed through her eyes and I felt like the biggest bastard out there.

How could I ever hurt Aria like that?

How could I ever let her go?

How could I give up and not fight for her?

God knows how much I love her.

Aria Montgomery, you’re the best thing that ever happened to me.