Echo looked up, "There's a demon on the loose." Echo's words were slow and a bit deranged.

Echo stayed where she was but the rest of the team went to another screen as Isabelle informed them what she saw, "Could be some kind of wraith demon."

Alec rounded the table and pointed to Echo, "Stay here."

Echo rolled her eyes, "Not like I can do much."

Alec bit his tongue as he rushed out of the Institute. Echo let out a sigh and glanced down at the rune on the back of her hand.

***

The map on the screen in the Institute had red dots scattering the city. Every few seconds a new dot would appear and Echo would feel another shiver creep up her spine. Isabelle shook her head and went up to Alec and Echo.

"There's over fifty of them now, with numbers increasing."

Alec let out a sigh, "And they haven't attacked once. What are they doing?"

Echo kept her head down but answered quickly, "They are waiting for orders."

Alec furrowed his brows, "What?"

Echo shrugged, "I can feel them. Every time a new one pops up I get a cold shiver down my spine."

Isabelle leaned forward, "Can you hear them?"

Echo swallowed, "These ones are different. They don't have intelligent minds. Only controllable ones. Whatever Valentine is doing, he is keeping them on stand by."

Alec looked to his sister, "What do we do?"

Isabelle shook her head, "I don't know. But demons don't usually come into our realm to sight-see. We need to find the rift where they're coming from and seal it."

Alec didn't miss a beat, "We'll need a warlock for that."

Isabelle's eyebrows rose, "Not just any Warlock, The most powerful one in New York."

Alec shook his head, "Magnus is not interested in helping the Shadowhunters. He said so himself."

Isabelle nearly rolled her eyes, "He still also thinks the Seelie Queen is on their side. He needs to know about the deal she made with Valentine."

"Well, not from me. He doesn't want anything to do with me."

Echo held up her hand, "I'll go."

Alec shook his head, "You are on Institute lock down until we find Valentine."

"And Sebastian." Echo's words were to herself but Alec had heard.

"Jonathan is dead."

Echo swallowed and stood up, "I'm going to talk to Magnus. If you want to come, you can. But I'm leaving now." Echo walked from the table. Echo turned to see Alec's expression and shrugged her shoulders. The teleported out of the Institute and into the hallway of Magnus's apartment.

Echo adjusted her floppy shirt before she knocked on the door. It didn't take long for the Warlock to answer. Echo could clearly see that Magnus was expecting Alec, and when he got Echo, he was surprised.

"Echo. What a pleasant surprise." Magnus toyed with his tone and facial expression to give the illusion that he cared.

"Cut the shit, Magnus."

Magnus was shocked at Echo's language and let his eyes widen, "What's got you in a mood."

Echo simply held up her right hand and Magnus let out a sigh, "Ah, haven't seen that rune carved in quiet some time."