Crawl

Echo sat on the couch in the office of the Institute with a hand on her stomach. The rune hadn't faded from her skin and she was still emotionless as she listened to what her family had to say. Isabelle sat on a chair and shook her head.

"Saving me from Azazel...I must have all been part of Jonathan's plan. I was the one to bring him into the Institute."

Alec placed a hand on Isabelle's shoulder, "Don't. We're all responsible for this."

Clary had her head down, "At least now we know Valentine can never get the mirror and raise the Angel."

Jace had a pinch in his forehead as she shook his head, "I'm not so sure."

Echo slowly looked up at Jace as he stuttered, "Look, even with our pure angel blood, doesn't it seem strange that Clary's runes would be powerful enough to destroy a Moral Instrument? And why didn't it destroy the sword?"

If Echo had her emotions, she would have cringed at the mention of Clary's runes. She still hated that Clary was superior to her.

Clary stood up with realization on her expression, "What if the mirror I destroyed isn't the Mortal Mirror?"

"Then why would your mom give it to the warlocks to protect?"

Clary shook her head, "Maybe she thought it was. We all did. Maybe whoever made it wanted it that way."

Echo didn't hear what Isabelle or Jace had said, she was more focused on what Clary was thinking.

Echo flicked her head back to the center as Clary spoke, "The water. It's a reflection."

Jace was confused, "What water? What are you talking about?"

Clary shook her head, "I didn't destroy the mirror. These visions I've been having, they're a message from the Angel."

There was a lapse in speech and Echo was tired of all of the theatrics.

"The Mirror is Lake Lyn."

Every person looked over to Echo but nobody said a word. It was clear that Echo was still able to use her abilities even with her new rune.

***

A day and a half later, Echo sat next to the holographic table with Alec and Isabelle, Echo's stomach hand grown a considerable amount in just a day she suddenly realized that she would need new clothing. Something not as tight. Alec pulled up a hologram of the city as Jace and Clary came up behind them.

Isabelle caught sight of them, "Anything new?"

Clary shook her head, "We tried tracking him together like we did with Jonathan, but for some reason, it didn't work."

Jace looked up at the team, "Magnus's wards are up, Valentine must still be in the city."

Isabelle let out a sigh, "Thank the Angel for Magnus and the warlocks.

Alec swallowed, "They didn't raise the wards for us."

Isabelle rolled her eyes, "Teams are out doing block by block sweeps throughout the city. We'll find him."

Echo twisted in her chair and Jace and Clary started to whisper. She kept her ears on them, but her eyes on the table. Echo heard Clary say an emotionally thick word. Dead.

Echo pushed herself off of the chair and rounded behind Isabelle and Alec, "Jonathan isn't dead." Her words were quiet, but the four of them heard her.

Alec looked down at her, "What?"

Echo didn't answer as she felt a cold shiver crawl down her spine, a second later the alarms sounded and the Institute turned red.