I'm Nervous Too

Echo had walked the entirety of the mansion but she still hadn't seen all of it. She retraced her steps and pushed the doors to the library open. The Lightwood library reminded her of the Morgenstern library from her mother's memories. The flooring was soft carpet with a couch in each corner. There were two levels separated by a spiral staircase and each shelf was covered in books. Old books, new books, borrowed books and foreign books.

Echo pulled a book from the shelf at random and quickly found it in the French language. Echo had studied French briefly in high school and only a few words were familiar to her.

"Ah, Les Miserables. That is one of my favourite books. The English version should be in here somewhere."

Echo placed the book back on the shelf and skimmed the titles, "Have you read all of these?"

Maryse walked further into the library, "Most of them. These books date back further than even my great grandparents. This is the Lightwood home and it has been added to for decades."

There was a silence as Echo browsed the books. Maryse watched her daughter-in-law before she spoke.

"This is your home Echo. You are a Lightwood."

Echo looked back at Maryse. "I haven't felt like I've had a home in a while."

Maryse gave a smile, "You will always have a home here."

Echo also gave a small smile, "Thank you, Maryse."

Maryse took a step forward, "How are you feeling?"

Echo distracted herself with the books, "I feel better now. Still scared, but a lot more confident than I was before. I can feel her moving and it's making me slightly nauseous."

Maryse nodded, "I remember I would get sick nearly everyday when I was pregnant with Isabelle. I was bedridden for almost the entire pregnancy. But with Alec and Max, I wasn't sick at all."

Echo let out a smile, "I can only imagine what Alec was like when he was a child. Probably very proper and obeyed all of the rules."

Maryse let out a small chuckle, "Actually, he was quite rambunctious. It was only when he broke his leg at seven while trying to climb down from the balcony, that he learned his lesson. After that he was a star child."

Echo kept her smile, "I can't wait to meet my little girl."

Maryse's smile grew, "I'm glad to hear that. It's amazing how attitude can change once you accept the fact that you will be responsible for somebody else. Someone that is apart of you."

"I've been walking around the house and it has inspired a name I really like."

"A name? For the baby?"

Echo nodded and looked to her mother-in-law, "I've noticed that your house is dressed in Burgundy and I think the colour has a ring to it."

Maryse gave a smile, "Burgundy Lightwood. A strong powerful name. I love it. I can't wait to meet Burgundy."

Echo placed a hand on her rapidly growing stomach, "Neither can I."

***

Echo blinked the sunlight from her eyes as it shined through the crack in the curtain. She yawned and rolled to the side of the bed where she had fallen asleep. The room she was in was Alec's room and she found it familiar and comforting. Alec's Idris room was decorated slightly differently from his room in the Institute. This room was clean and clutter free. Not a stitch out of place. As Echo swung her legs off of the bed she noticed that the top she was wearing had slipped up her stomach. She also noticed that her belly was larger than the night before.