Addiction

Echo shook her head, "I don't understand. This whole thing with Clary means that Valentine wants to destroy the Downworld, but why would he even consider opening the City of Dark? It doesn't make sense. And if I am capable of destroying the Soul-Sword, wouldn't that mean that without it, he can't use it to open the City of Dark?" Echo shook her head. "So what does Valentine want? A world with no demons or a world full of them?"

Alec shook his head, "I don't know, but all I know is that this information needs to stay quiet. It's enough that Clary has angel blood."

Echo's body suddenly got tense at the statement. She pushed away from Alec and walked out of the apartment and onto the street. Alec suddenly regretted what he had said. He let out a sigh, quickly grabbed the Seraph blade and followed his wife.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way." Alec had caught up to her.

Echo was frustrated; "Okay, what did you mean?"

"I meant that the past few days have been rough. We are all on edge and a little frazzled on what to do next."

Echo let out a breath and licked her lips. The Shadowdemon didn't say a word, but she didn't need to. The silence was broken by Alec's phone.

Alec answered the call while Echo teleported a few feet in front of him. Echo looked back at Alec as he slowed his walked as he talked. Echo glanced around the Brooklyn apartments that she was walking past. She knew exactly where she was. She had walked the streets of Brooklyn so many times. She glanced up at the brick buildings and saw the decay of the rock. The old brick was somewhat soothing to Echo; it let her know that there were many things in the world that were strong and sturdy, unlike her. Echo ran her hand through her hair as she heard her name.

Alec came up to her, "Magnus knows where Izzy is. Can you take us to the loft?"

Echo glanced down at Alec's slightly extended hand before she nodded. She pulled in a breath as she gripped his hand and transported them into Magnus' loft. Echo opened her eyes and saw Magnus turn around to look at them from the balcony. The Warlock never got to say a word before Alec spoke.

"You said you know where Izzy is?"

Magnus pulled in a breath and walked past them as he answered, "Well, not exactly."

Alec's tone changed from when he was talking to Echo, "You know, I expect this from Aldertree, but not from you."

Magnus paused his steps as Alec coaxed him, "What's going on? And why do I seem to be the last person to know?" Alec's sentence was added in his glance at Echo, who was clearly in Magnus' head.

Magnus glanced at Echo before he turned to face Alec; he was still hesitant to speak. Echo shrugged her shoulders, "It comes from you or me."

Magnus let out his breath and revealed his truth, "A couple of days ago, I saw Isabelle trying to buy Yin Fen from a certain reprobate Warlock at the Hunter's Moon."

Alec kept his voice even, "You sure it was her?"

Magnus let out a sigh as he nodded, "I asked her what she was doing, but she told me that she was undercover."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Alec allowed himself to become angry.

"She's an excellent liar." Magnus tried to defend himself, "It wasn't until this evening that I put it all together." Magnus was looking down in thought, "Something Meliorn said at the Downworld meeting." Magnus looked up at both Echo and Alec, "I think she's getting her fix straight from the source."