Complicated Relationship

The three of them slowly roamed the halls with their bodies on alert. Without being able to teleport, Echo could feel her energy residing into her body like a soaked sponge. She was starting to feel uncomfortable in her own skin. Almost bloated with energy. As they walked the corridors, they noticed that the lights in the Institute were slowly starting to flicker and Aldertree had to state the obvious.

"Looks like he's already tapping the energy supply."

Echo rolled her eyes and looked at his back that was in front of her, "We need to get to that power core and shut it down."

"Well, what the hell do you think we're doing?"

Alec let out a sigh from Echo's sass, "It'll be heavily guarded."

Aldertree gave a single nod, "We'll get to it via the rooftop."

Echo furrowed her eyebrows at the plan, but she didn't have the chance to ask as Aldertree spoke again, "Hell if I'm gonna let that bastard destroy the entire Downworld."

Echo's back straightened up, "What, suddenly you care about the Downworld?"

Aldertree looked back at Echo with surprise, "I'm an officer of the Clave, sworn to protect Downworlders and Mundanes alike."

Echo gave a sarcastic nod, "Oh, right. I believe that."

Aldertree suddenly got angry, "I'm not the big bad wolf you think I am."

Echo took a few steps forward, "Oh your not? Last we talked you wanted to use my power for your own gain. No, I think you're worse. You got Isabelle hooked on Yin Fen."

"I warned her." Aldertree was trying to defend himself, "I told her the risks. She wanted to visit the Citadel. The Yin Fen allowed her to do that. I was doing her a favor."

"Are you kidding me?" Alec suddenly came into the conversation with a whispering shout, "Look, you might have helped us back there, but don't pretend you're one of the good guys." Alec gave Aldertree one last glance before both him and Echo stalked around Aldertree with dislike in their eyes. As they coated the hallways, Echo couldn't help but shake her head.

"It's too quiet."

Alec had his hand on his bow, "I'm not a fan of it either."

Echo suddenly let out a breath and looked up at him, "I have to destroy it, Alec."

Alec's footing skipped a step and he looked down at her. He glanced behind him to where Aldertree was and shook his head.

No, we can shut down the power core before it comes to that.

Echo let out a sigh. Alec.

Alec shook his head. No! I lost you once; I am not going to lose you again.

Alec ripped open a door and a waft of air met Echo's cheeks. The three of them walked out onto the rooftop as Alec pulled out his Stele as he explained to Echo why they were up there, "The power core's up here on the roof, behind this access hatch." Alec burned a rune into a steel panel and there was a sudden minute explosion as the steel popped a hole.

Aldertree took a step towards the power core, "Unfortunately, it's impervious to the unlock rune." Aldertree pulled the small door back and revealed a touchscreen. Echo folded her arms, "You're the head of the Institute. You're telling us you don't have a key?"

"I do." He looked over at them, "in my office."

Alec let out a sigh, "Where we know Valentine is."