"That's a sacrifice I'm willing to take."

Clary shook her head, "You don't even know if Jonathan is doing this on his own. He could be under Valentine's influence."

"Clary's got a point." Sebastian cut into the conversation. "I mean, what if Valentine's forcing him to do his bidding?"

Jace didn't want to believe it, "Yeah. Okay, look. I know exactly what it's like to be manipulated by Valentine. Probably better than anyone. You know, Clary, you read those journals. Jonathan Morgenstern is a demon-blooded monster who is responsible for the death of your friend. An innocent warlock."

Echo held on to Jace's words. Demon-blooded monster.

Clary kept her voice soft, "Remember what Valentine made you do."

"I don't have demon blood."

Echo took a step forward, "Well some of us do. But not all of us are monsters. Jonathan could very well be Valentine's latest victim."

Echo felt Sebastian shift from her words, "We don't have all of the information and until we do nobody is killing anybody."

There was a moment of silence before Sebastian spoke, "Yeah, well the priority right now should be finding that mirror."

Echo let out a breath to release the tension in her body. She put a hand on her stomach and felt her little girl wiggle. Echo was staying calm for her daughter.

"We need to get back and report to Alec. Echo?"

Echo looked up and dropped her hand, "Uh, yeah." She held out her hand. Clary took Echo's hand, Jace grabbed onto her arm and Sebastian placed his hand on her shoulder. Echo let out a breath and closed her eyes before she teleported the team of five into the Institute. Echo quickly caught her balance before they all walked into the study.

Clary was the first to speak, "It's Jonathan. Our brother. He's the one who came after Elliot."

Jace looked to Alec, "He's after the mirror."

Alec had his arms folded, "Sebastian. Thanks, but, uh, we're good here."

"I-if I could be of any assistance, I'd be happy to help."
"Thank you." Alec's voice was harsh. "But we've got it covered."

Echo swallowed, "I need to ask you something anyway."

Sebastian eyed Echo before they both walked down the hallway and into a far corner of the Institute. Before Echo had stopped walking her voice was a low whisper, "Why in the hell didn't you answer your phone?"

Sebastian ducked his head, "I was a little busy."

"Killing a family friend? That's a nice leisure activity."

"You don't seem that angry about it."

Echo let out a breath, "I'm more angry with the fact that they found out about you. I thought you were keeping a low profile."

"I was. I never gave them anything to indicate that I am not Sebastian."

Echo pulled a finger up, "You should have kept this to a minimum. You should have stayed in Idris that way none of this would have happened and they wouldn't want to kill you!"

"I am not the only person they want to kill."

"Yes, but you are the only 'demon-blooded monster' that they want to kill. Valentine would just be icing on the cake."

"You sound a bit too worried."

Echo was getting angry, "Of course I'm worried! If they find out I knew about you then the Clave would have my ass and I wouldn't be able to see the light of day again. I am just like you and the only reason they don't want to kill me is because I didn't know about what I was and they felt sorry for me."

"They felt sorry for you? God, Echo. They don't want to kill you because you aren't a monster like I am. Do you honestly think I like being this way? This is the only way I know how to be!"

Echo's anger suddenly vanished and she realized what Sebastian was actually saying, "You want to be good."

Sebastian swallowed, "It isn't as easy for me as it is for you."

Echo shook her head, "What changed your mind?"

Sebastian hesitated, "You. You made me realize that having demon blood doesn't have to make me a monster."

Echo grabbed onto Sebastian's arms, "Then you have to fight it! I was right. Valentine has manipulated you. He's been manipulating you your whole life and that is the only way you know how to be."

"I don't know how to fight this!"

Echo saw a change in Sebastian's eyes a felt her own eyes tear up, "Then use me to help you. Use us. You're going to be an Uncle. Fight to see your Niece. Fight so you can know her."

Sebastian pushed away from Echo and shook his head. Without another word, he quickly turned and walked out of sight.

Echo didn't know how to respond to Sebastian's sudden outburst. She wanted so badly to help him, but she knew that if she did she would probably be risking both her life as well as her child's life. Echo let out a breath and leaned her back against the wall behind her. Echo closed her eyes and soon a vision of herself with Alec and their daughter swam behind her eyes.