Valentine, What a Dick

Start from the beginning

Alec pursed his lips, "Who knows? Idris loves gossip. And you're one Clave investigation away from treating frostbite on Wrangle Island." Alec realized that he now had the upper hand to Aldertree, "From now on, I'm calling the shots. Don't ever threaten my family again. Now, if you don't mind, I need these Shadowhunters to go find Clary."

Aldertree stood motionless for a moment with a taut expression written on his face before he nodded to the Shadowhunters in front of Echo, "Do as he says."

The Shadowhunters left the area as Alec gave a smirk and clapped Aldertree on the shoulder. Alec glanced behind him and Echo raised her eyebrows with approval. Echo quickly followed Alec and didn't miss the opportunity to bump her body into Aldertree's as she passed him with a smirk.

***

Alec and Echo weren't gone more than five minutes before they were called back to the Institute because of a breach. Alec and Echo quickly made it back to the Institute and the moment that they entered the church, Echo's hearing kicked in and the alarms were strident in her ear. Echo cringed at the sound, but she had gotten used to it. She gripped onto her Seraph Blade with tight fingers as she followed Alec into the middle of the madness.

Aldertree came running towards them in a huff, "I thought these wards were airtight?"

Alec shook his head, "How many soldiers are here?"

"Only two dozen. Everyone else is out dealing with the Downworld attacks."

Alec let out a sigh before he spat out an order, "I'll take the entry with Longford." Alec knew that Echo would join him.

Aldertree was quick to answer, "We'll cover the weapons room."

The groups quickly separated and Alec looked down at Echo, "Got anything?"

Echo swallowed; "No, but I—" Before she could finish her thought, the protection door opened before them and they saw Madzie standing in the middle of the room with Shadowhunters on the ground around her.

Alec held out a hand to the Shadowhunters behind him, "Hold your fire."

A man behind Echo had his grip tight on a bow, "What's a little girl doing here all alone?"

Alec started to take a few steps towards Madzie with Echo tailing him, careful not to startle her, "She's a Warlock." Alec placed his bow behind him, "Madzie. Did you..." Alec's words slowly fell. Madzie didn't say a word for a moment, but when she raised her hand, Echo and Alec were both thrown through the air and into the elevator as the doors shut. Alec was first on his feet when they both heard their team gasping for air. 

Alec went up to the doors and tried to pry them open, but it was pointless. Echo pulled herself up and shook her head as Alec banged on the doors and called Madzie's name. Alec turned to Echo in a hurry, "Can you get us down there?"

Echo grabbed onto Alec's hand and expected for them to jump into another room other than the elevator, but Echo's power sputtered. She opened her eyes with furrowed brows.

"What?"

Alec was rushed, "What's wrong?"

Echo shook her head, "I can't teleport. Something is blocking me."

"Like what?"

"I don't know. I can't hear anything."

Alec gave a sigh, "Okay, we'll have to be quick and quiet. Maybe it's just the elevator."

The moment that Echo let go of Alec's hand the elevator doors opened. The two of them pulled in a breath before they stepped out.

The moment that Echo was out of the elevator, she was able to hear a plethora of thoughts. It was odd because these thoughts she had never heard before. She was not connected to them, yet she could hear them. Alec went to take a step forward, but Echo grabbed his wrist and looked up at him.

"Valentine and the Circle are here."

Alec swore under his breath, "We have to get Izzy here."

Alec pulled out his phone and tried to reach Isabelle while the two of them stalked around the Institute and tried to avoid the Circle members all while realizing that Valentine used Madzie to suffocate every Shadowhunter in the Institute. After four missed calls from Alec to Isabelle, the Shadowhunter let out a frustrated grunt.

"I can't reach her."

Echo shook her head, "Call Jace. Have them get here."

Alec shook his head, "No, he needs to be with Clary."

"Then just let him know that the Institute is compromised."

Alec let out a breath before he switched the call to Jace. Alec put it on speaker as they hid in the corner in the back of the Institute.

"Alec? Are you okay?"

"We're under attack. Major casualties. Valentine used Madzie to take down the wards. She suffocated everyone."

"Where's Izzy and Echo?"

Alec shook his head, "Iz wasn't here and Echo is with me."

Jace let out a breath, "Oh, thank the Angel. Alec, he's there to use the power core instead of lightning. He's got Simon and he's threatening to kill him if Clary doesn't come and activate the sword."

Alec looked around the corner through Jace's speech and Echo shook her head, "Jace, you have to keep Clary away from the sword."

"Don't worry. She's with Magnus. Luke and I are coming for it now. Just get to the power core. Shut it down. That way no matter who touches the sword, it won't turn on."

Echo suddenly pulled in a breath as she was pushed to the ground by a force behind her. The Shadowhunter that attacked her went to Alec causing the trained Shadowhunter to fall to the ground. The Shadowhunter advanced on Alec as he saw him as a bigger threat. Echo pushed herself off of the ground and came behind the Shadowhunter. She pushed her Seraph Blade into his back and Alec was free to defend himself against the other Shadowhunter that advanced herself on him.

Echo pulled her blade out of the man just as Alec sliced the Shadowhunter's throat. Echo pushed her hair from her face and saw Aldertree pushed his own blade into the Circle member's stomach. The three of them let out a few heavy breaths as Alec looked up at Aldertree.

"That's not bad. For a diplomat."

Echo rolled her eyes, "If you two are done bromancing, we have a mission."

Alec looked over at her, "Anything?"

"He's in here somewhere, but I don't know where."

"Can you teleport?"

Echo glanced down at her body and concentrated. She could feel that she wanted to bend space, but at the same moment, she was repelled by it. She let out a breath and shook her head, "No, but the power is still there."

Alec glanced around the area they were in, "We need to keep moving then. Get to the power core."

Echo glanced between the two of them, "Are you sure you can work together without screaming at each other? There's a bit of tension still there."

Alec rolled his eyes, "Let's go."

Echo let out a smirk as Aldertree gave her a look; she quickly followed the two Shadowhunters.