Hurt

*Emma’s POV*

Everything was upside down.

A mess.

After I told him the news, after we left the hospital that day, anything was the same anymore.

Yes, I knew he was not going to take it well. I was expecting many things, all possible kind of reactions.

And he did react really bad, everyone at the hospital clearly noticed what was going on. The stupid concierge was even insulted after stepping forward to call the psychiatrist and, if I hadn’t dragged him out of there, something worse would happen.

What I did not expect, was Robert pushing me away.

The nights were sleepless, the days were troubled. He would do everything, nonstop, the only way he had to deal with what had happened.

Doors, windows, lights, objects, fridge, stove, electric cables, cleaning around… everything.

He wouldn’t stop.

And I didn’t seem to be able to stop him anymore.

It really hurt me. To see him like that and not be able to do anything about it.

He even raised his voice at me.

“LET ME BE!” He had shouted “It’s the only way it… gets better…” he whispered then.

I had asked my boss, the school’s principal, to take a few days off. I couldn’t leave the house, I wasn’t able to leave him alone. Even if he pushed me away, I stood by his side the entire time.

The day of the funeral was actually calm. At least the ceremony.

Robert accepted my hand, tightly holding his, as only a few people appeared to Frank’s last farewell.

Robert glanced at me, his eyes swollen, red and exhausted.

“Rob…” he interrupted me.

“Don’t say anything…” he whispered, letting go of my hand “Let’s go”

I gulped.

I knew this was harder than everything for him. But why not letting me help?

Why Robert? Damn it…

It frustrates me.

I waited for us to return to the house. It was as if Frank’s presence was everywhere. I had grown attached to the man, it broke my heart to let him go. But I also know that, if he was here, he was going to tell me to help Robert move on. To not let him fall, to help him walk forward the unknown road ahead of him. Of us.

“Robert…”

“Let me be, Emma…” he said in a cold tone, washing his hands furiously for the millionth time.

“So, you’re going to be like this? Ignoring me? Pretending I am not here?”

He punched the washing stand, scaring me.

“Let me try to deal with it, damn it. You know how hard it is?!”

“I just know you’re not letting me help you, Robert! I am here for that!” I snapped, not stepping back.

He had never this kind of behavior towards me.

I have never met an aggressive Robert. My boyfriend was sweet and caring.

Please Frank… Come back.

“I’m… gonna take a shower” He moved away, taking his shirt off.