Foolish

The ride home was silent.

Emma tried to make some conversation every once in a while, but Robert would not say a word.

He kept silent throughout the entire ride, only messing with his side window up and down constantly.

She never stopped him, she thought it was better that way.

She could only try to understand what he had just experienced, the pain he was in and the trauma it was.

She had never seen him like that. So angry and… sad.

It killed her to see him like that, and she did not know what to do.

“Robbie” she smiled at him “we’re here”

He nodded, before getting out the car.

Both silently entered the house and saw Frank weakly resting on the couch, clearly waiting for them

“Oh, my boy” He smiled

Robert slowly walked to him, kneeling next to him on the couch “Hey, uncle…” he whispered

Frank immediately pulled him into a hug “I missed you, my boy”

“I missed you too, uncle…” Robert whispered “How are you?”

Frank weakly smiled “Alright” he looked at Robert, observing him quietly “What happened, son?”

Robert looked at him, sadly “nothing, uncle” he half smiled “It’s good to be home” he whispered.

Frank looked at him worried, but didn’t push Robert into more conversation.

“Robbie, want to eat something?!” Emma smiled at him

“Uhh… Gonna take a bath first” he said, walking out of the room.

She looked at him sadly as he walked away.

“What happened, Emma?” Frank softly asked from the couch

She took a deep breath “These days were horrible for him…”

“He’s been into fights…  that’s noticeable on his face” Frank looked at her

She hesitated, looking at him “That’s not the biggest problem…” she sighed before telling him the entire story.

The old man’s reaction wasn’t good. Emma had never seen Frank cursing and seriously irritated, neither when Robert’s parents visited.

But there was nothing to be done about it other than support Robert.

“He didn’t speak a word to me yet…” Emma whispered, sadly

“Give him time… I can just imagine” Frank said “A straight man is always proud of what he has, invading his privacy and experience a violent rape attempt by another man is a huge incision on a man’s dignity…”

Emma looked down “I know… It’s just… I don’t know how to help him”

“Your presence is enough, I know that for sure” Frank smiled

She took a deep breath “Well, I’m going to make some lunch for all of us”

Frank squeezed her hand “You are amazing, dear”

She blushed “It’s a pleasure”

Emma took her time in the kitchen, cooking lunch, waiting for Robert to appear anytime. But that never happened. She ended up escorting Frank to the table before going to call for Robert, in his bedroom.