The Smiths

Emma stood up calmly the next morning, feeling great. She relaxed into a nice bath and had a nice breakfast before getting ready to leave. Since Robert had been forbidden to drive, after the accident, she would go and meet him at his house before go meeting the poor girl’s parents.

“You’ve been out a lot, recently” Sophie commented, sitting on the table, sleepily, to start her own breakfast

“So?”

“Been busy with the sexy guy?”

“Shut up, I’m not just staying here and watch him getting blamed for something I did”

“Alright… Alright” she sighed “but that’s not the only thing, and you now it”

Emma looked at her with a frown “I’m gonna leave.” She said

The drive to Robert’s house was peaceful, helped her calming down after Sophie slightly pissed her off.

She took a deep breath and concentrated on the day, she wondered if she would go up or simply wait for Robert in the car.

She text him to let him know she was there, but after a few minutes without a reply she decided to get out the car and ring the doorbell.

Frank opened the door for her, with a smile on his face “Dear Emma”

Emma smiled “Good morning Frank. Do you know if Robert’s ready?”

He stepped aside so she could enter the house “Uhh, you will have to wait a little”

“Oh, ok.” Emma said “No problem” She glanced at the watch, it was past the time they had agreed to meet

“He’s on his third bath” Frank too a deep breath “Can I offer you something, dear?”

“Oh, no, thank you Frank” Emma frowned “Third bath?”

Frank looked at her, sadly “It could be worse…”

Emma looked at Frank, sadly, as he continued “He called his lawyer, he gave him the address of the girl’s parents”

Emma nodded, still thinking of Robert “Is it a problem if I go and see if he doesn’t get into a fourth bath?”

Frank smiled “I’m sure you’ll do a better job than me, I couldn’t stop him”

Emma nodded and slowly walked away.

She knocked at Robert’s bedroom door

“Yes?” She heard his voice “I’m coming, uncle Frank”

“It’s me” She softly entered the room

His eyes widened “Oh, am I too late?” He took some steps to pick his phone and see the time “I’m sorry, Emma” He said

He still had a towel around his shoulders, but was already getting dressed. She wondered if she should say something or if it was better to remain silent about it. She knew he couldn’t really control it.

Deciding not to say anything, she spoke “So, Frank told me you already have the address?”

“Yes” he said, buttoning his shirt “I’ll be done in a minute, just need to brush my teeth” He quickly entered the bathroom as Emma sat on his bed, glancing at the bathroom’s insides, at him. She noticed how he spend a lot more time checking his teeth at the mirror than actually brushing them. He would go back to brush them and, once again, opening his mouth wide in front of the mirror to watch his teeth.

“Your teeth are perfect, Robert” She couldn’t help but comment.

He looked back at her and took a deep breath “Just checking… I’m sorry” He said before fixing his hair, putting some of his amazing perfume and walking back inside the room