difference

LillyGornick

luke held the straps of his backpack as he walked in the direction of his boyfriends apartment.

he kept a frown on his face as he passed people on the side walk.

he wishes he could be like them.

"step. step. step. step. step. step. step. step. step..."

luke whispered to himself each time he took a step. he wanted to be able to stop, but he couldn't.

he went up the stairs to michael's door, and opened it, hanging his backpack up immediately. he shut the door, and looked into the kitchen, seeing michael cooking something.

"hey, sweet heart. how was class? is college hard yet?" michael asked, and luke shook his head.

"no. i still have all a's." luke said, not really understanding michael's joke.

"you're so smart." michael said, and luke lightly smiled before walking to his room.

michael looked up and furrowed his eyebrows. usually every day, luke would immediately sit down and eat a grilled cheese that michael had ready for him.

michael turned the stove off, and followed luke to the room, seeing his boyfriend laying in the middle of their bed with his hood pulled up.

"bad day?" michael asked softly.

"i just wish i was like other people. i don't want to be so annoying." luke mumbled.

"what makes you annoying? luke-"

"i'm autistic, michael!" luke spat.

"no you're not. you're luke. you might have autism but that is not who you are." michael said, and sat on the bed next to luke.

luke just pulled his hood up further and buried his head into the blankets.

"who made you sad?" michael said, running his hand up and down luke's arm.

"people at school. i was sitting in class and- and i- i got stuck. i kept repeating words and the people around me were getting really annoyed. nobody will even sit near me now. they called me slow."

michael frowned, and looked down at luke.

"hey, look at me, luke." michael said quietly, but the younger boy shook his head, his hands balled into fists like they always were when he cried.

michael reached down, and placed his hand on top of luke's.

luke peeked out a little and michael lightly smiled at him.

luke sat up, and crawled up onto michael's lap, laying on his boyfriends shoulder. michael secured the hood on luke's head, knowing it made luke feel secure. he placed his hand on the back of luke's clothed neck and rocked him back and forth.

"you're so beautiful, luke. i love everything about you." michael whispered.

"but i'm different." luke whispered, his head remaining on michael's shoulder.

"and there's nothing wrong with that. you are perfect just the way you are, baby."

"you mean it?" luke asked quietly.

"of course i do. i love you, sweet heart."

luke giggled a little when he felt michael turn his head and start pressing several kisses to his cheek.

"i love you, mikey." luke giggled.

michael smiled, and held luke tightly, rocking him back and forth.

"so much love for you, luke."