CHAPTER FOUR - FOLLOW THE BLACK RABBIT (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

Trying to distract me with her flirty gaze, Victoria continued to exasperate Eva as Cathal ignored her and continued to talk business, ‘I’m aware of the demands the Elders have put on you and although I do not have a plan for either of you nor for my fiancé at the moment, I would like you to stay here with us, so we can work together at protecting you all. After all you are one of us.’ he stated as I huffed at his comparison.

Eva couldn’t contain her scepticism anymore and blurted out, ‘So what’s in it for you, Cathal?’

No longer the cold, rigid businessman he presented us with, as soon as she spoke he seemed to melt.

An unexpected smile spread across his face and his demeanour was more relaxed, ‘I’m not hiding anything Eva. I just want to help you, like you’ve helped me.’ he replied as he looked shocked at the last section of his sentence.

I turned and looked at Eva in resentment, wondering how she helped him and what she conveniently missed out of her confession last night.

Eva shrugged off my questioning stare as Cathal composed himself, returning to the stern businessman he was in the beginning, ‘You don’t have many options so why don’t you just stay here for a few days until we can figure out how to help?’ he asked as Eva pushed me to agree with her constant whispers.

The thought of my wife being closer to this devious animal filled me with dread but what other options did I have?

I hesitated as I prayed for more options to come to mind but nothing came, ‘Just two nights then we’re gone.’ I concluded as Cathal smiled at the new alliance and beckoned one of the guards to his side, ‘Tell William to get their belongings from their car and show them to the Emperor Suite’ he said as the guard nodded and showed us out of the majestic room.  

Walking out of the room I thought about the mistake I had just made as we walked up the stairs and passed the other occupants of the building.

An elderly couple passed us as they regarded us with curious glares, ‘Just keep walking.’ I whispered to Eva as she shuddered at the yellow tainted fangs he greeted her with as his wife grabbed him away, a little jealous of Eva’s youthful looks.

There was silence as we walked down the crimson corridor with black doors at either side we admired the lavish golden ornaments and large pictures of previous clan leaders, ‘We’re here.’ the guard bellowed as he pushed the grand doors open and filled our view with the new extravagant room that stood before us, ‘You will have two guards outside this room day and night and if you need anything just ring downstairs’ he informed us as he shut the door, leaving us flabbergasted at the opulent space we had been given.

I was scared to move from the spot I was on as I examined the room.

The thick black carpet bounced beneath my feet as the black curtains draped onto the floor greeted by the red and black lace that restricted the intensity of the sunshine.

Gargantuan black four-poster beds which were complete with black netted veils filled the impressive bedrooms with matching style dressing tables, wardrobes and drawers, ‘Dad, look there’s a decanter of blood in my room.’ Ki squealed as she ran to get a glass, ‘NO!’ Eva screamed as she ran over to her and slapped the silver goblet out of her hand, ‘we don’t drink anything from here remember’ she shouted as Ki slumped down on a chair feeling deflated.

I knew it wasn’t fair to let Ki be surrounded by all this wealth and think that she wouldn’t want to indulge but I couldn’t allow her to enjoy this calculated charity as I didn’t know what Cathal was up to, nevertheless, I knew he wasn’t just doing this out of the kindness of his black heart, so I vowed to play him at his own game by pretending to accept his offer of help, whilst figuring out how to use him to my advantage to get out of this situation and out of this ultimatum with the Elders with all my family remaining by my side.   

Did you enjoy this chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***