Halloween Special: A Nightmare in Canopy Pt.1

It was the start of a dark and moonless night in the Canopy Kingdom. The wind was howling eerily as the brown leaves of autumn covered the streets of New Meridian.

Many buildings and shops were decorated in spooky themed decore, such as displaying jack-o lantern's in display shops, having skeleton and bat decals placed on windows but most notably were all the kids dressed in costumes which varied from cute and cuddly to terrifying and monstrous. These signs were an obvious giveaway that tonight was the night of Halloween and all were getting into the spirit of celebrating ghost and goblins but more importantly the candy quest that was trick-or-treating.

At the Poorman's Hotel Squigly was in front of the downstairs mirror trying out her costume with Leviathan - she was dressed in a tattered wedding gown, which covered her skeletal arm and hole in her back, complete with a bouquet of black roses. Leviathan wore only a top hat that was small enough to fit his head.

"Leviathan, what do you think? Can this pass as a suitable costume?"

"Of course. You've spent the last few weeks crafting it to perfection. It suites you very well, milady. Though I fear I've come up short - I only have this to wear." He brings the tip of his tail up to adjust his top hat.

Squigly wraps her hand around Leviathan and brings him down so that she could spoil him with cuddles. "Don't apologize. Your hat is so cute, Leviathan! You're so handsome with it on!"

A pleased Leviathan melts away into his hosts affection and nuzzles his cheek into her as if he was a pet returning the love to his owner. The pair was so wrapped up in each other they didn't notice the Player sneaking up behind them while concealing most of his appearance with a cape, Dracula style.

Once he got close enough he jumps at them. "GIVE ME YOUR BLOOD!" He swings the cape from around his body to fully reveal himself.

Both Squigly and Leviathan flinch at the jump scare with a cute shriek coming from Squigly. The Player tosses the cape onto the couch and laughs delightfully at the result of his small prank.

"Wow, I actually scared you? Ha!"

"Of course you scared me! You came out of nowhere!" Squigly gently shoves him with her good arm.

"Aren't you supposed to be the one who can sense people and stuff? I thought you were going to detect me."

"Hmm. Perhaps I've been getting too caught up in my own costume." She shyly scratches her cheek with her skeletal index finger.

Leviathan smiles at their exchange but then focuses on the Player. "What are you going as?"

"Can't you tell? I'm a vampire." The fake fangs were the only thing relating to the vampire look. He lacked the classic goth aesthetic for a more unique take on the old vampire tradition.

The Player was dressed in all black to really get in the spirit of Halloween. His outfit consisted of a black jacket that he kept unzipped thus revealing his grey shirt underneath that was also tucked into his baggy black shorts which he wore over a pair of slim-fit pants wrapped in red bandages. His shoes had a single white strap and silver buckle on the outer sides across the midsection.

Unlike Squigly and Leviathan the Player was flashy in appearance, he even had little devil wings on the back of his jacket and white gloves that made it appear as if he had clawed fingers. It appeared that he used some form of black makeup to ashen and shadow the area around his eyes to really give off a dark and mysterious appearance.

Squigly and Leviathan checked him out from head to toe but didn't see the resemblance. "Nope. I honestly can't tell." They answered in sync only to laugh once they realized they spoke in harmony.