Sidetracked Chapter 18: The Holy Trinity

Poorman Apartments
6:30pm

After a long and chaotic day of fighting monsters, the group unwind in the front room for a much needed and well-earned rest.

Gwen sat on the loveseat with Squigly while Ruby, the Player, and Ryūko sat on the couch.

Gwen lent Squigly her phone to experiment with since she didn't have much time with it before.

Squigly and Leviathan were captivated despite their dificulty trying to decipher the complexity of the realistically simple device.

"Extraordinary. Simply extraordinary," Leviathan said while Squigly swiped her finger across the screen.

"Yeah. Gwen, this is amazing!" Squigly was cycling through the numerous apps on the home screen. "This doodad has a built in clock, calendar, its own phone directory, music, and... Hm, what's this 'internet' option?"

"It's nothing while we're here," Gwen said. "You won't be able to use it since we're in another world and all."

"Oh. I see."

"How disappointing," Leviathan slightly slouched his head. "I was hoping to explore every facet of this phenomenal device. But, if I may ask, what exactly is the internet?"

"A mistake that'll turn this nation on its head if we're not careful," the Player answered.

"How do you figure?" Gwen looked at him with a curious smile.

"They're just not ready for it. I dare not think what would happen if Samson ever found out about rule 34."

Gwen tried to contain herself, but couldn't help tittering at the Player's response.

Ruby was happily coddling Butterscotch while they were talking but turned to Gwen and Squigly to join in on the conversation.

"Speaking of phones, shouldn't we exchange information?" Excluding Ryūko, she got everyone's attention. "I mean, now that we're getting better acquainted, not to mention living together until we fix this mess, it'd be best for all of us to be in contact, right?"

"That's a good point," the Player agreed with a nod. "You have a phone too?"

"I have my scroll."

"...Scroll? Like, a roll of paper scroll?"

"I guess it'd be easier to show you."

Ruby briefly sits Butterscotch beside her and reached into her pouch, taking out a rectangular device with a diamond-shaped button at the center.

She pressed her thumb on the button and unlocked the scroll revealing a translucent touchscreen with two solid end grips.

The scroll was far more advanced than Gwen's phone and the group was visibly impressed, but none more than Squigly.

"Why are rectangles so advanced in other worlds?!" Squigly outbursts.

"Wow. That's really cool," the Player closely inspected the device in intrigue.

"Yeah. That design is something else. It blows mine out of the water," Gwen chuckled.

"So it can just fold and lock itself?" The Player asked.

"Yep. All I have to do is press the button again, and-" Ruby demonstrated by pressing the diamond and interlocked the two gripes to revert the unit back to its rectangular form "done! Quick and easy," she pressed the button again and unlocked it once more.

"Oooh, now I see. Because its collapsible it's like a traditional scroll of paper. Clever," the Player observed with a smile.

Although the design was more advanced, operating the scroll was no different than Gwen's phone -- Ruby went to her contacts and was ready to add everyone.