Chapter 5: Revelations

As the full moon towered over the Grand Cathedral it highlighted the eerie and ominous presence of the establishment. Seeing the building sent shivers up the Player spine but this was natural however his mission was more important than letting fear get the better of him and with Squigly at his side his nerves were more calm. The two continued their walk down the pathway that lead to their destination.

"There it is..." He said while pointing ahead. "This is the place where everything goes wrong."

"Really? But it doesn't look out of the ordinary. It appears to be a regular church." Said Squigly.

"I'm sure. Man," He says with a shiver "just looking at it gives me the creeps."

"He's right." Leviathan joins. "With each step the Skullgirl's trail becomes more potent."

Squigly closed her eyes to focus and just as Leviathan claimed Marie's presence got stronger. "...Ah. Now I see. I sense it too. It feels as if she's in a weakened state."

"Yeah. It's because she used most of her power to save the citizens in New Meridian." The Player thought back to Marie's actions. The image of her struggling to prevent casualties replayed in his head continuously. "And nobody could help her. Nobody would've wanted to..."

"Hm. It is quite unusual to see a Skullgirl perform acts of heroism." Said Leviathan.

"Skullgirls are really that bad?" The Player asked.

The question took Leviathan by surprise. Surely everyone knows who the Skullgirl is considering the international crisis they have brought in the past. "Judging by that question I assume you're not from around here?" The serpent parasite inquired curiously.

"No. I've only been around for a little while but on my way to this land I read up on the kingdom's history, or at least what little I could, and I've read up on Nancy, the last Skullgirl."

Hearing that name made Squigly and Leviathan look to the Player in mild shock.

"Nancy?" Leviathan questioned. "Nancy...Renoir? The queen of our very kingdom?"

"Yeah. That's her. She became the Skullgirl in hopes of establishing peace between the warring kingdoms."

As the Player continued walking Squigly stopped in her tracks.

"...But- No... That can't be right." She muttered. "Leviathan, the last Skullgirl... It was-"

"I know. I know..." Leviathan answered before Squigly could mention the name of the previous Skullgirl.

"Is something wrong?" The Player asked after realizing Squigly wasn't following.

"Player, are you certain the book you've read was creditable?" Leviathan asked as Squigly remained silent.

"Yeah. It's got to be more credible than a wiki, right? Nancy's daughter, Parasoul, is the leader of the kingdom now. Shouldn't you guys already know about this?"

Squigly clenched her fist at her chest, due to her sleeves being so long the Player couldn't see. She lowered and shook her head. "This doesn't make any sense. The last Skullgirl was my mother."

The Player tilts his head in confusion. "You and Parasoul are related?"

"Of course not!" Squigly answered.

"Did the book mention who the last Skullgirl was? Before Nancy."

"Um. I think it was Selene Contiello."

The fact that he knew her name made Squigly and Leviathan's eyes widen. The realization that he was telling the truth hit them hard.

"Wait a second, Sienna, isn't your last name Conti-" He paused for a second. "Oh. Oooooooooooh."