Chapter 7: Heart-to-Heart

Comenzar desde el principio

"No. Just go home and wait till I get back."

He came off as rather stern instantly making Squigly see how serious he was, but this only made her feel unwanted. She slightly lowers her head and stands in silence.

It wasn't hard to see that she wasn't feeling good about it, making the Player sigh. "I won't be long."

"But-!" She looks up only to have the Player lay his hand down upon her head.

"Don't worry. I'll bring home food and we can all eat together. If you really want to help then just wait for me. You understand?"

She didn't but wasn't in the mood to protest with her current mindset regarding his feelings toward her. "Yeah. I guess." Squigly didn't even bother to make eye contact when answering.

He could tell she was just saying that but he didn't have time to sit here down for a talk. He gave Squigly a pat on the shoulder for assurance and turned to Filia. "I'll be back soon."

"I know. Just take it easy."

"I always do."

"Oh?" Filia challenged that statement with a doubting smile. The Player knew that look anywhere and playfully huffs at her gesture, he then held his fist up to her. "Just because your nickname is 'Player' doesn't mean you can just try and play me. You and I both know that's not true." She chuckled and had her fist meet with his.

"Maaaaaybe." He laughs a bit with her. "Well, anyway, I'm off to see a friend before heading back to work so look after each other on the way back." He then turns to Feng. "I'll catch you later, Feng."

"Right." She nods. "See you tomorrow." As the girls watch him depart Feng stretches her arms out and faces Filia and Squigly. "I should be heading off too. Work might be over but I still have to focus on my training back at the circus. Gotta stay in shape, right?"

Filia wasn't sure she was in the right position to answer that considering she was quite plump from all of Samson's eating on top of her own habits but she plays along anyway, "R-Right! Hehe... Once I get in I'm gonna work out and stuff. Nyhahaha! Ehehe... Eeeeeh..." that dorky laugh wasn't going to fool anyone, just looking at her and anybody could tell she was saying that just to say it but the Dagonian girl didn't mind as she just laughs with her.

"Work up a sweat for the both of us, Filia." Feng winks at her and gives a supporting thumbs up.

"Heh. I will. See you tomorrow, Feng."

The gang was now split down to Filia and Squigly. As Filia waves goodbye to their new friend Squigly remained unusually quiet.

"Guess we should start heading back." Filia said now looking to a meloncholly Squigly.

"Yeah." The disappointment in her tone was rather apparent causing Filia to worry a bit.

"Squigly, what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Filia placed her hands on her hips and waited to see if Squigly would change her mind, Squigly reads Filia's body language and realizes her friend wasn't convinced but remains quiet in hopes of getting off the subject.

"Don't lie to me. Is it because of the Player? It's ok, you can talk to me. What's on your mind?"

"...I don't think he wants me around."

"Why would you think that?"

"Do you see how he acts around me? Between never wanting me outside and never wanting my help with anything it just begins to show. Hedoesn't have to say it himself because actions speak louder than words."