Twenty Five

It wasn't supposed to happen like that. No one was supposed to die.

He tried explaining it to Hyungwon, from the very beginning:

Hoseok stared at the ziplock bag with wide eyes. A small lock of black hair was contained in the bag.

"I found evidence, boss," his new worker, Minwoo told him. "Bet we could send it to the lab and get results."

Hoseok nervously avoided eye contact. "Um, yeah."

He thought Hyungwon had been careful. He promised Hoseok he was always careful. Minwoo had been insistent, begging to check every one of the victims' house. Hoseok couldn't refuse, but he thought Hyungwon had cleaned everything.

"I'll take it," Minwoo insisted.

Hoseok had to get his hands on the evidence. No one was ever allowed to know Hyungwon's mistake.

"No, I can."

Minwoo picked the bag off of the desk. "Boss, you're always so busy."

Hoseok ended up letting him, but he knew it was going to get ugly.

He asked the lab worker to meet him at his house to discuss the results. The worker happily complied to Hoseok's request.  Hoseok kindly asked Minhyuk to leave for a few hours.

They sat down across from each other at the kitchen table, and Hoseok took another drink from alcohol bottle sitting on the table.

"You know, it's a bit funny," the man started. "The DNA lined up with the files of someone who worked at your office."

Hoseok shifted, feeling the gun in his back pocket move. "Oh, yeah?"

He hummed. "Your old assistant." He narrowed his eyes. "You wouldn't happen to know why he was fired out of no where, do you? Around the same times the killings stopped?"

The detective snuck a hand behind his back and slowly pulled the gun out. "No idea."

"I think that you were-"

A loud shot was heard throughout the house. The other's head fell onto the table.

Hoseok felt like he couldn't breathe. He just killed someone for Hyungwon.

-

Hyungwon stared at Hoseok's tear stained face. "You killed someone because you were scared I'd go to jail? Hoseok, the stuff is already in their system."

Hoseok released a sob. "I- I asked Minhyuk to burn down the place. Hyungwon, I-"

"Oh Hoseok," Hyungwon sat down next to him. "Hoseok, don't you think I deserve to go to jail?"

"No! I want you to stay here...stay here, with me." He said weakly.

"It's okay," Hyungwon pulled him into a hug, holding the larger man against his chest. "It's okay. I'm right here. Let's get you cleaned up, and then we can fix this mess."

Quietly, he led Hoseok to the bathroom and held the other's hands under the water. "We'll fix it, Hoseok. We'll fix it."

"What if I go to jail?" He asked weakly, watching the now red water go down the drain.

"I'm good at this, Hoseok. Can you trust me?" He pulled Hoseok's hands away from the water and grabbed a towel to dry them. He turned off the water and led Hoseok back into the living room.

"Yes. Yes, I can trust you, but-"

"Then, stop worrying and let me handle it."

Hoseok sat on the couch and watched as Changkyun and Hyungwon slid on gloves and wrapped the dead body in trashbags. He felt so small, so helpless, and yet he caused this mess.

He just wanted to protect Hyungwon, but he only caused more problems. If caught, they would both go to jail.

"We have to take him away," Hyungwon told him, sliding off his gloves and placing them in a bag. "Will you be okay on your own?"

"Can- can you please stay?" Hoseok begged.

With a sigh, Hyungwon walked into the other room. A few seconds later, he appeared with Jooheon and a wet wash cloth.

"Jooheon is going to help Changkyun, and I'll be right here with you."

"What happens next?" He closed his eyes, not wanting to see the removal of the body.

He felt the couch sink before he was engulfed by the smell of Hyungwon. Soon he felt the washcloth against his face as Hyungwon struggled to remove the blood from his face.

"Well, if Min burned the place down, then there shouldn't be any evidence. We just have to hope he didn't get caught. Jooheon and Changkyun will work on discarding the body; I'll spare you from the details. And us? I just need you to calm down while I clean this place of blood and start a fire in the backyard. I'll have to go clean up your house and car too. You better hope no one saw you."

Hoseok blindly grabbed Hyungwon's hand that wasn't cleaning his face. "Do you think that we'll be okay?"

"We'll make it okay. Now, go get some rest. We have a lot to talk about later."

Hoseok felt Hyungwon's touches leave him, and soon he was alone in a house that he had no business being in.

He imagined one day being happy with Hyungwon and having kids together; Hoseok couldn't imagine ever feeling guilt for what he did.