Twenty One

Hyungwon nervously pulled at his sleeves. This was it. It was about closure, right? Hoseok wanted him to get over it; he wanted him to stop killing people. It was about closure, not revenge. He needed to stop this. If Minhyuk started it all, he could end it too.

Years ago, when Hyungwon stood over his dead parents with a knife in his hand, he never imagined he'd be where he was. He never imagined himself planning to kill Minhyuk. Being a serial killer wasn't part of the plan. Killing his parents wasn't part of the plan. He was supposed to live a good life. He was smart, quick-witted.

And yet, every murder he thought of Minhyuk. Everytime Hoseok wrapped an arm around him or pressed his lips against his own, Hyungwon thought of Minhyuk. When he killed his parents, Minhyuk was on his mind. Did he still love Minhyuk? No, that was wrong. He loved Hoseok. Hoseok belonged to him, no one else. Hoseok was his. Alternatively, Hyungwon belonged to Hoseok. He wouldn't dream about laying his eyes on anyone else. Minhyuk simply occupied his mind, like some obsession that was never supposed to be there in the first place.

Minhyuk. The boy who ruined his life in the first place. He flipped his life upside down. He used Hyungwon, and Hyungwon just let him. He didn't get affection from home, so Minhyuk was enough. Feeling like he mattered was enough. What about now? He had Hoseok, his obedient and adorable boyfriend.

Besides, Hyungwon had changed, and most of that change was because of Hoseok.

He wanted to be a good person for Hoseok, really, but so far he hadn't done a good job. So, maybe Changkyun kidnapped him so Hyungwon held him captive. He was controlling, demanding, but he tried so hard to change. He had flaws, everyone did. He didn't want to hurt Hoseok, not enough to make him leave. Without Hoseok, who would he really be? They had grown from Hyungwon working under him and secretly slipping him notes on the headstones of the people he killed to a relationship entirely different. A relationship built on trust, on reliability. They had changed tremendously, from a small friendship to a captivator and the captor to a relationship. If Hyungwon could change the past, he really would, but he couldn't. He was stuck with the past they had and only could change the future.

And step one of changing for future was to stop killing.

And it started with killing the person who started it all.

The issue with this was how close was Minhyuk to everyone and how discreet can Hyungwon be. What if Minhyuk was best friends with Hyunwoo and the other Minhyuk; how upset would they be? Can Hyungwon even kill him silently outside? He wished Changkyun was here, really.

What if I kill him accidently?

Hyungwon was smart. He could easily calculate probabilities or solutions to a new occurring issue. He took those ideas and applied them to life. That's how he had not gotten caught yet. He learned how to discard evidence and avoid ever being a suspect. When an issue with his current plan occured, he would simply find a new plan within less than a minute. He was a problem solver, and it was one of the reasons he had made it so far.

As he led Minhyuk outside and through the parking lot, he knew it was not going to go the way he wanted, if the harsh rain was anything to go by. They walked out to the road, and Minhyuk grabbed Hyungwon's wrist before they crossed the road.

Fuck.

"Hyungwon, here is fine."

He faced Minhyuk, with the whole world behind him. He heard the sound of cars rushing past them. Children cried in the distance. Rain hit the ground. The world was behind him, and as he stared at Minhyuk, the feeling of guilt intensified.

Minhyuk spoke first.

"I didn't mean it, you know. I was a kid, and you were just there and I took advantage of that. If I could turn back time, I'd treat you right. I'm sure we'd still break up, but Hyungwon, I never meant to use you. I was so stupid and you were smart and pretty." He sighed so softly. "And your parents...I'm so sorry."

Minhyuk is...apologizing.

Hyungwon's head pounded. The sound of rain hitting the ground suddenly was much louder. Minhyuk looked so sincere, and Hyungwon almost killed him.

"I know that you won't forgive me, but I'm so sorry. I really hope Hoseok treats you right." Minhyuk smiled, the one that showed his teeth and made Hyungwon fall for him.

It didn't work this time because his heart belonged to someone else. Instead, he saw Minhyuk as Minhyuk. Not an enemy, not the boy who ruined his life. Minhyuk was a young man who is just trying to survive, like Hyungwon. Minhyuk was Minhyuk, and Hyungwon didn't want to kill him anymore.

Minhyuk continued "You like Hoseok a lot, don't you? You seem really happy together."

"Yeah," Hyungwon blushed before he lifted his head to stare at Minhyuk. "Hey, Minhyuk?"

He hummed, awaiting Hyungwon's words.

"I forgive you."

Hyungwon was met with a blinding smile that he returned for the first time in a while.

Something felt different when Hyungwon stepped back inside. He and Minhyuk parted ways, sharing one last smile. The feeling of nothing that he normally felt was replaced by intense regret, nearly making him sick.

He didn't find Hoseok until the party ended, leaving Minhyuk, Hyunwoo, Hoseok and himself.

He found Hoseok sitting on the couch with the other Minhyuk, Hyunwoo's Minhyuk. Hoseok looked up and stared at Hyungwon with accusing eyes, the look that told Hyungwon that he didn't trust him. He moved over and patted the place on the couch next to him. Hyungwon hesitantly sat down. Instead of curling up next to him, Hoseok didn't move.

"You know Hyungwon, I handle a lot of your bullshit," Hoseok turned to stare at him. "I let you get away with a lot of shit. I put my job on the line every damn day because I don't want you to end up in jail. I let you shove me around when you want. I deal with everything you throw at me, but now I don't even know how the hell to handle this." Hoseok buried his head in his hands.

"Hoseok, what are you-"

"What kind of person ditches their boyfriend to hangout with their ex?" Hoseok lifted his head, and Hyungwon could see two tears falling from his eyes. "I don't know what you want from me. So please, if you're going to use me just to get away with murder, then please leave. Don't pretend to love me; I'll make sure if they find evidence then I'll destroy it. Just please- please leave."

Hyungwon moved to cup Hoseok's face, but the way Hoseok flinched caused his hands to fall back down. "It's not like that-"

"Please leave me alone, Hyungwon. Please." He stood up and wiped the tears from his eyes. "You're fired. I'll make sure they never know that you're the killer because I actually love you."

Hoseok escaped to his room and slammed the door. Minhyuk gave Hyungwon a glance.

"Be glad Hyunwoo is passed out in his room. I won't tell either. Just, please leave Hoseok alone. He tries to act tough, but he isn't at heart." Minhyuk left to Hyunwoo's room, leaving Hyungwon alone.

Hyungwon clenched his fists.

I don't know what the fuck to do.

For once, he didn't have a solution...