Ch 50: Compromise

Red POV:

This is not what I expected.

The room was filled with candles that matched my eyes, the table before us set perfectly. "Hmm...this is not terrible mr wolf."

He smiled at me, pulling out my chair for me. "I am glad you like it...I have an extra surprise for you too little red."

I blinked at him, "is that so?"

"Every course tonight features your absolute favorite fruit."

My lips parted in surprise, "apples?"

He nodded.

"In all of it?"

Smile slipping onto his face he nodded once more.

"How so?"

Chuckling his eyes grew that kind of distant that meant he was communicating with someone. "Well first off we have apple parsnip soup."

Apple parsnip soup...

Why has no one fed me this before?

A small bowl was placed in front of me by one of Zander's pack members.

He picked up a glass of wine and gestured to me slightly with it, "go one little red tell me what you think."

I sipped at my water to be sure my pallet was clean before tasting the soup. It was crisp and savory with the right touch of sweet. "You will give me the recipe for this wont you?"

"If you want it it is yours."

We ate in silence for a while, a tiny smile on my face as I wondered what came next in the apparent parade of apples.

Salad as it turns out with apples and cranberries and an orange poppy dressing.

It was a lovely pallet cleanser and was perfectly tart.

Zander seemed to like to watch my expressions when I tasted these foods before eating them himself.

Perhaps he wished to be sure I enjoyed it.

As he should.

I was halfway through my salad when he spoke. "Red.."

"Yes?"

"I have been thinking about when you told me about your desire for compromise."

My brows furrowed, "why?"

"Compromise is not my strong suit but for you I will do it. I believe I have come up with a plan that will satisfy us both and allow us to be with one another as we should be."

I was chewing much slower now, taken aback. "You have?"

"Yes."

I nodded as we moved onto the next course, a lovely apple stuffed pork loin. "Well perhaps it will not hurt for me to hear it."

He nodded, "for a start you will not have to leave the Scarlett Guard if you do not wish to."

...that is unexpected.

"But I will ask you avoid killing members of my pack, I know for you this means failures. Perhaps less outward missions and more time beside your prince to avoid that. Although I will ask you work less."

"Less?"

He nodded, "I do not want you tiring yourself out...because eventually I would like you to complete the mating ritual with me. Yes, this does mean I will know your name but know it will never pass my lips again after and we can have a untraditional ceremony one a private one with only one witness as is required so no one else will over hear your name."