Ch 37: Roses

Red POV:

I was called into the guardsmen's residence late in the afternoon for some inexplicable reason.

Honestly between the men here and the wolf people I have so little time to myself its a travesty. I shall request the prince take me shopping on his next day off.

and yet... for once when I walked in to the residence, all was quiet. they were staring more than normal.

"Red."

I looked over at Vald, the man who raised me, as he frowned. "yes?"

He gestured for me to follow him, "Did we not discuss the necessity of a quiet courtship?"

I nodded once, trailing after him, "we did. I have not allowed the mans affections to corrupt my-"

I froze as my eyes set upon a large stone vase in the center of the center of the sitting room, a group of scarlet guards around it.

...it was an arrangement of roses...shaped like a crescent moon.

"Then..." Vlad drawled, "please have him send his gifts somewhere else. there was a card addressed to you."

I slowly approached the roses slapping a woman's hand away with my fan as I took the card, opening it.

Red.

I have quite literally no Idea what has upset you this time,

but I do hope these help. The shade reminds me so of that beautiful hair.

yours adoringly,

-Z

My cheeks filled with color as I traced the petals of a rose, "...that idiot." Stepping away lightly I spoke to no one in particular, "have this sent to my home."

"red."

"yes Vlad?"

"if this man plans on proposing-"

"I will reject him."

"I was going to say be sure to get the princes approval."

I hummed a bit, "the prince would never approve of him. This foolish man thinks me delicate, would probably prefer that I leave the guard entirely."

"And do what exactly Red?" Vlad scoffed "be a housewife?"

"Perhaps. He is more inclined to have be help him with his...business though, and cart me off with him to his silly little cabin nature lover that he is."

"You hate the woods."

"It is very dirty there."

"It is quite a sophisticated and expensive arrangement for a woodsman."

I peered over at Vlad suddenly irritated, "he lives in the woods because he chooses to. If he wished to he could afford quite the manner. He just likes nature."

"So you care for him."

I started from the room, "He is not unlikeable."

"And if he did not wish to take you from your duties Red, would you marry him?"

This gave me pause, "were that the case then perhaps."

Perhaps if we were two different people I could marry him. Become his and banter with him, allow his touch. Allow myself to sink into the affection he pours over me.

What would it be like? The complete love of a wolf person? I hear they are the most caring lovers, they would die for their mates. Their other half is their entire world.

It is their greatest weakness and yet I see the dogs with their mates in Zanders pack.

You so rarely see a married couple smile in high society. But the wolves in his pack...they always seem so happy, so fulfilled.

I shook my head of the thought.

We were not different people. Zander was the most highly wanted man in the kingdom, even if not by name.

He is the Alpha of the crowns largest plague.

My job is to kill him. I am one of the highest ranking Guardsmen there is to offer.

My entire life is dedicated to my prince and my positions.

Not a wolf man.

So I turned slightly to Vlad, answering his question once more, "perhaps not."

The greying man just shook his head, "Red. You should be more cautious. If the crown thinks you will reveal yourself..."

"I will never."

"Not even if you marry?"

"especially not then."

People do stupid things for people they think they love.

And honestly if anyone was to kill Zander it would be me.

I would be the only one to take his life away, to end his breath. He is mine in that sense at the least.

Never in another way. Just that. Just the last beat of his heart.

Yet i paused before leaving the guardhouse fully, turning to my pseudo father, "what would you say if I told you that a man was willing to let me poison him in order to experiment with tolerance build up in differing people."

He just stared at me for a long moment, "Red...I would tell you to marry him the moment he asks for your hand. It takes a special and probably insane person to understand you to that level."

"And if it meant abandoning the crown?"

"I highly doubt a man willing to let you poison him will force you to abandon your duties even if you do not live on the palace, you could still serve the crown. You may not always be with the prince as you are now Red, but you can have both. It will simply be more work. So long as he cares not where you come from, the color of your hair, or what you do I think he is not someone to dismiss so quickly."

"But kill him if he pries?"

He nodded, "kill him if he pries."

I looked back to the room where the flowers were, "understood. Thank you, for your advice Vlad."

"Any time Red. Any time you so need it, stop by. Just...stay away from the kitchen."

I giggled lightly, "worry not I poisoned you so often as a child you are most likely immune to most of my favorites."

His light chuckle followed me from the door.