Ch 41: A Beautiful Color

Red POV:

Peasants adore prince Julius. But that does not mean I will allow their dirty hands upon him.

He laughed a bit, noting the expression on my face as some dirty little girl hugged his legs. "Red, calm yourself no one is doing any harm. These are my people. Someday I will be their king and you will not only be my protector but the leader of the Scarlet Guard itself."

I forced myself to relax. It was Prince Julius's wish. And...it was true. Head of the kings guard is head of the entire guard. Highest standings Guardsmen.

It has been my goal since the very first day I met Julius as a little girl and vowed to always follow him.

I would be beside him until the day I die. That was my vow.

It is what I have always told him.

It was the one thing I wanted above all else. To be part of his sector for the guard.

And when I graduated he put me in charge.

It was more than I ever could have imagined.

So, I follow him. I adore Prince Julius he will be a great king, he cares deeply for his people.

Hence...the dirty orphanage.

And the dirty orphans.

I peered at all the children and their grubby hands, resisting the urge to keep the prince far far away from their dirt covered hands.

The lack of hygiene in the lower city is truly disturbing.

Why does the wolf want these creatures so badly?

They would be better off as puppies and staying that way.

A little girl hugged the prince tightly giggling as he swung her up in his arms, laughing, "Red do not look so sour. We are only dropping off some supplies and moving onto other business."

I pouted a bit.

"Then perhaps, tea."

I smiled a bit, "and cake?"

He grinned, "for you? Always cake."

Nodding a bit I relaxed watching the prince play with the children.

He is so enamored with these tedious tasks.

"Alright children! Red, my guard, is here to help teach you all how to ballroom dance."

I just stared, "pardon."

The prince chuckled, "they asked upon my last visit if i could teach them to dance." Looking back to the kids he began counting.

And then he stopped and counted again.

And frowned.

I tensed a bit. Unsure what the fuss was.

There were 13. When I last accompanied him several months ago there were 13.

He shook his head, "where is Anika?"

The little girl who he had been holding pouted, "miss Magnolia said she couldn't play because she didn't oil her hair."