*Laxus x Sassy!Stubborn!Reader*

Start from the beginning

He soon marched back over with paper in hand, and glancing behind the lighting mage you saw that the leftmost request was missing, meaning that he'd picked the one shortest in duration; most likely you'd be able to finish it in a day or two as a pair. Putting it on the table, the paper fluttered slightly before you read the words carefully. It wasn't anything you hadn't seen before, but would offer a nice get away and something challenging to work through; a welcome contrast to the mundane symmetry that had been the past few days.

Laxus watched you expectantly, and after catching your eye he motioned to the door using a small inclination of his head. "Alright to go?" He asked, pocketing the request within his large fluffy coat, which he wore as more of a cape. Still not finished with the games you were playing, you started off by simply shrugging.

"I might be, but are you sure you can handle the monsters there? They'll be scary." You uttered in a mock-patronising way, raising your eyebrows like you were talking to a small child. The lighting mage stayed quiet for a second, looking confused and slightly offended with his eyebrows furrowed, before he rolled his eyes and laughed from sheer tired irritation.

"Lets just go." Laxus replied, gripping your arm to practically lift you up from your seat while you stayed limp to make him do all the work. Once up, you made the decision to lean back on the table, and give off no inclination of moving anywhere, a stubborn expression present on your face. With another roll of his eyes, Laxus asked you if you even wanted to go on a job with him.

"More like do you want to go on a job with me?" You said in reply, "We all know I'm in charge here." In this moment, you didn't know why you felt the need to try and wind him up, but you just knew that you had created a game which you were going to finish playing. Although you were unsure as to what type of game you had created, by the laws of virtual gaming, a boss fight would most likely be coming up soon.

"At this rate, no." He said simply, challenging you to a face off. The rules were clearly articulated in the look that he shot at you following his statement; whoever caved first lost. Some might call it a battle of wits, but you just called it fun. Irrelevant to what game had just started, you were both at full health, so you needed to deplete his bar first, that much was imperative.

You thought for half a second, before smirking slightly and flicking your hair away from your face, gearing up for your win. "I can't let you go alone, you might have a heart attack. Oldie." It was cheap, but playing with his age, being above you own, was the easiest, being another topic he was slightly touchy about. You got the reaction you wanted, as immediately the mage showed the signs that he was annoyed, by the way he raised and eyebrow and balled his fists.

"Huh?! I'm only 23. You're the one who should be worried; you can barely function without me." Laxus replied, half playing along and half protecting his pride. The room had the natural hubbub of many people's conversations, and the light was bright from early afternoon sun, but your focus was solely on the man in front of you, meaning that all other details were overlooked. Despite his half-heartedness, you were still happy as it meant that you got to carry on.

"More like I can barely function with you, I'm surprised you haven't short-circuited your brain yet." You said with glee clearly and unfortunately present in the undertones of your voice, along with mischief and your natural cheekiness, while you adjusted your spot on the tabletop to sit more comfortably. The game shouldn't continue for too much longer, but looking as if you had settled was all part of it.

Laxus frowned and began to tap one of his feet, slowly hitting his shoe against the hard wooden floor to play out a rhythmic melody that clearly had the accompanying words of 'hurry up'. "I would have short-circuited yours already, if you had a brain. Now move, we don't have all day." He said, not with anger, but with impatience. That was a knock to your health points, and in this game there are no healing items, just a battle of endurance, so you had to strike back quick.

"We're not done here, I'll move when I want to." You hastily replied with, using you special move of perpetual stubbornness. There was another brief pause, in which Laxus pulled out the request again from his pocket and reread it, turning the paper to show you the writing, while pointing at the timings for accepting the request. If you were going to make it today then you'd have to leave there and then, so with great reluctance, you stood up straight.

"I can pause this for now." You declared matter-of-factly, while moving to lead the way towards the stairs down to the guild. A smile graced your features as you heard Laxus follow on, as he'd lagged behind slightly, while you counted this one as a win for you. Meanwhile, the man in question had a smile of his own, because no matter how annoying your defiance could be, it was something he really loved about you; not that he'd admit it, of course. Because of your natural affinity to be that way, you were a force of nature, just as water and the wind are, and wouldn't let anything get in your way, which he admired.

After getting the request signed off, you and Laxus left the guild hand in hand and surprisingly content, until you reached the train. This was where you accidentally burst into hysterics at the paling of Laxus's usually confident demeanour upon merely seeing the stationary vehicle. That particular journey was a long one, for him at least.

• • •

A/N, I don't even know what this is. Fluff? Maybe. Well whatever, I hope you enjoyed!
Comment and vote!
~Merry <3

Next up: *Gajeel x Suicidal!Reader*