I skid to a stop and once again feel my heart breaking into even smaller pieces, Arlo takes over my mind and howls out his pain and grief. Then I once again collapse to the ground. This time I welcome the dark, maybe that can take away this pain?

I can hear movement around me, people talking in hushed voices. As I slip in and out of consciousness I can identify the voices of the doc, Anders, Kyle, Carl, Julie and many other members of my pack, but never the voice I want to hear. Leila doesn't come.

I have no idea how long I'm out, but when I finally find the strength to fight my way back to reality the first person I see is Anders. He's sitting in a chair next to what I can only assume is my hospital bed and he looks rough. Unshaven and with dark circles under his eyes, he looks like he's been awake for days.

"A...aa..alpha," I finally manage to croak out, my throat feels like sandpaper and my tongue is so dry it's hard to speak.    

He startles, stands and rushes to my side. The look in his eyes is full of sympathy and pain.

"Why didn't you tell me she was your mate?" I guess my secrets out, and he must have seen the question in my eyes. "It was pretty obvious with the way you behaved and then collapsed. But I can not for the life of me understand your decision to keep this to your self, why didn't you say something? How could you not accept your own mate?"

I can't find a good answer for that, I don't even understand it myself, "I keep quiet and look away from his eyes, I can't take the judgment coupled with concern I see in them. 

"Where...", my voice won't cooperate, but Anders seems to get what I need cause he reaches for the glass of water on the bedside table and helps me drink some through a straw.

I clear my throat and try again, "Where is Leila? Is she back? How long have I been out?"

"She's not here, we haven't heard a word from her after she left. You have been sleeping for 6 days." His voice is filled with pity.

"6 days? I've been out for almost a week? And Leila is still gone? My Goddess! What if something has happened to her? She could be hurt!" I try to struggle myself off the bed, but in my weakened state I can't even make myself sit up.

"Calm down Axel! I have contacted pretty much every pack there is, they know not to hurt her and try to make sure she is safe." He puts a hand on my chest and that's more than enough to keep me in place. "Alpha Colleen reported that she was on her packs land last night, she seemed fine, even took down a buck on her own. She seems no worse for wear."

Alpha Colleen? Her pack is over 900 miles away, she is so far from me, where is she going?

Suddenly the door to my room is flung open and in comes two people I have sorely missed, mom and dad are here, I haven't seen them for so long. They left to join my mothers old pack a few years back, I had my eyes set on the position of Head Warrior and stayed behind.

"Dad, I fucked up so bad! I lost her, I drove my own mate away. What am I going to do?" He walks right up to me on the bed and picks up my upper body, cradling me to him, and when his familiar scent and warm strong arms envelop me I can't keep myself from sobbing into his shoulder like a small child.

"Shhh, baby, don't cry, I'm sure this can be fixed," his voice is choked from trying to keep his own tears at bay. "She will come back, the mate bond is a powerful thing. She must be struggling her self, being away from you for this long." I try my best to believe him, but he didn't see the look on Leilas face, the hate and disgust she felt for me when she left.

As my sobs die down to calm crying he pulls away and my mom cradles my face in her hands, "I will not lose my son like this, there will be a happy ending to this, even if I have to track down the girl, sedate her and dump her in your bed. Don't think I won't do it, cause I will." 

I can't help but laugh at that. And I do believe her, my mom is pretty fierce, she was Head Warrior before she left after all.

"Listen to your mother son, she is one crazy lady, your mate won't know what hit her if she unleashes some of that crazy on her." My dad looks at her with love and humor beaming from his eyes. 

In some ways I guess I could say that he was the mother when I grew up, he was often the one who cooked meals and tucked me to bed, while mom was off training warriors and fending off attacks. But she had a set rule of being there for breakfast and she never missed those unless something unforeseen came up. They both worked together to make my childhood as carefree and happy as possible. I can only hope to be that good of a parent one day. 

But to be a father I need Leila, and to get Leila I need to stay alive. If I am to achieve this I need to get out of this bed and somehow track her down. 

So to hell with this rejection! I'm gonna fight, I will find my girl and I will convince her to give me another chance, I will convince her that I love her and make her love me.

And if all else fails, there's always my mom and a tranquilizer gun.

With newly found confidence I push aside my covers and swing my feet over the side of the bed, and fall face first on the floor.

Ok, so maybe the first thing  I should do is eat something?

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Poor Axel! Or maybe not, he made his bed, time to lay in it.

He's gonna go get his girl. Do you think he will be successful? Or will the rejection kill him before he can? What would you like to see happen?

Vote, comment, follow!