Chapter 1: The Strong One

Start from the beginning

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene

Im begging of you please don't take my man

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene

Please don't take him just because you can

Your beauty is beyond compare

With flaming locks of auburn hair

With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green

Your smile is like a breath of spring

Your voice is soft like summer rain

And I cannot compete with you, Jolene

“C’mon doll. Don’t make me sing alone,” She taps her on the leg as they drove along the freeway. She soon joined in giggling as they sing off key. Their chances of being karaoke superstars was slim but the silly moments with her mother were the times she cherished the most.

He talks about you in his sleep

There's nothing I can do to keep

From crying when he calls your name, jolene

And I can easily understand

How you could easily take my man

But you don't know what he means to me, jolene

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene

Im begging of you please don't take my man

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene

Please don't take him just because you can

As Alice glanced acrosss at her mother, she saw a flash of the woman she could've been as they continued to act silly in the early morning traffic . Even at her age, her mother was still one of the most beautiful woman in her eyes. People always told her that she looked like her mother but the chemo had already started to make her feel ugly with all the weight she was losing.

You could have your choice of men

But I could never love again

Hes the only one for me, jolene

I had to have this talk with you

My happiness depends on you

And whatever you decide to do, jolene

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene

Im begging of you please don't take my man

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene

Please don't take him even though you can

Jolene, Jolene

By the time the song ends, we were at school and she kissed my cheek. “Uncle Evan will pick you up at three honey,” She drove off and with a heavy sigh, she walked towards the principal’s office humming Jolie under her breath, feeling nervous.

   “Are you sure you want to do this Alice?” My principal Mrs. Oh asked cupping the shoulder which she had hurt this morning and was still sore. Inside the room, one of the honor roll students was making the morning announcements. Without even thinking of the consequences, she nodded knowing she owed everyone some sort of explanation but also knew once she did this, there would be no turning back. She wouldn't be Alice Gillies anymore, she would be Alice Gillies, the cancer girl.

    She sat where the girl had been and cleared her throat,silently groaning, her throat dry and her voice sounding hoarse."Hi everyone. Most of you already know me. My name is Alice Gillies and I used to be your cheer captain. This announcement is hard on me as I have some to all know you in my time here at this school. Anyways… I’ll just get right to it. I have cancer…T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia to be exact. My survival rate right now is less than 20%. I have been told I have two years at most to live but the doctors now say its even less than that. I want you all to know I cherish the memories I have made with each and everyone one of you. Thank you,” Her  voice broke as she finishe, and holding her head high, she walked out of the office walking out of the room past the staring kids standing in front of the school breaking down completely.

“Uncle Evan, can you come pick me up?” 

 “Do you want your dad to come too?” He asked in his usual obnoxious accent.

 “No just you. You don’t treat me like I’m dying,” She hung up before he can disagree with her.

  She looked down at her phone smiling as she saw a text from her boyfrirend .

Can’t do this anymore. Be friends?

 Everything that could possibly go wrong has started to go wrong..