Chapter 59 "Meeting the Forbes"

Claire

Was I excited? No. Was I nervous? No. I was neither excited nor nervous in getting to meet my father and sister. I was, to say the least, totally freaking out. A part of me was hoping that the car would run out of gasoline or would get a flat tire, as long as it would delay our ride. I didn't know what happened to my confidence and determination earlier, they just disappeared the moment I got inside Luke's car. Ofcourse, all I could do was sit in the passenger seat, silently. Thankfully, Luke wasn't much of a talker as I wasn't in the mood to chat. 

When we reached our destination, I forced myself to get out of the car. I felt like my knees would buckle in every step I took towards the door. As if sensing my nervousness, I felt Luke's reassuring hand on my shoulder and somewhat, it helped me feel calm. I knew he was trying to tell me that everything would be alright and I believed him, I just couldn't help but be nervous.

"Hey relax, you'll be fine," he assured. I nodded faintly and smiled at him. He rang the doorbell twice and we waited patiently. Not long after, the door swung open and a familiar face of a man greeted us. He smiled when he looked at Luke but that kind smile vanished when his gaze landed on me. His eyes shot wide and his bearing faltered. The man standing in front of me looked different than those pictures and videos I saw. He looked older and he was thinner.  

"Katherine?" he spoke then immediately pulled me into a hug. I was speechless at the sudden gesture and all I could was let him hug me. It felt strange to be hugged by someone whom you just met but was your real father. It felt surreal, if I could describe it.

My hand was rubbing his back as he started sobbing, I could feel hot tears on my shoulder. We were standing for a while now until I heard Luke cleared his throat. Mr. Forbes must have heard it when he pulled away, wiping the tears on his face. 

"I'm sorry to cut-"

"That's fine Luke, I'm glad you interrupt us, I got carried away. My apologies," Mr. Forbes said turning towards me and smiled. "Come on in,"

We made our way in to the living room where I sat beside Luke while Mr. Forbes sat across us. "Is there anything you would like to drink?" he asked while still looking at me with his kind eyes.

"I'm fine dad. What about you Claire?"

"Um, is it okay if I can have a beer?" I asked reluctantly. The two men both stared at me curiously. Since I was pretty nervous right now, I could really use a beer. I just hoped I didn't sound imposing by asking something unusual.

"S-Sure," Mr. Forbes stammered then chuckled awkwardly. He called one of the maids and relayed what I just asked. After talking to the maid, he then turned to our direction and when he was about to speak, a loud gasp erupted within the room, and I was then engulfed in another tight hug. I didn't know who it was, as she nuzzled her face to the nape of my neck, sniffling. 

"Oh God, you do look exactly like Rhel," she mumbled through her sniffs. Like what I did to Mr. Forbes, I rubbed her back to make her calm. The feeling was overwhelming right now and I didn't know how to react to this kind of situation.

 She pulled away and cupped my cheeks, "I'm your sister, Megan, and you my dear, are my baby sister," she said softly before kissing my forehead then stood up beside the man she came in with, probably Edward, her husband.

"God, why must you be so emotional Megan," Mr. Forbes said jokingly. 

"Ugh, as if you're not dad," Megan replied sulkily. I found myself laughing at her reaction, so as everybody in the room except for Megan who just rolled her eyes but soon joined with our laughter. Everything seemed to lighten up for me after that. I no longer felt nervous and it was getting comfortable talking to them.