Chapter 6 "Obscure Emotions" (Edited)

Rhel

I stopped the car when I reached the rectangular gate, waiting for it to open. As I was patiently waiting, Luke's image slowly crept into my head. I definitely hated that guy, he was so arrogant and difficult to deal with, I wouldn't want to see him again if I had the choice. I just had to go to the date, have the contract signed, and then I would never see his face again.

The metal gate slid sideward and I promptly drove down the driveway  of my own house. Turning off the ignition, I picked my bag and went out of the car, jangling the keys on my finger while I looked inside through the glass wall. As I opened the wooden door, Alex Kane, my white bearded collie puppy quickly jumped on me, licking my face playfully.

"Okay now Alex, that's enough," I giggly said as I put him down on the floor and he sat wagging his tail. With one last stroke on the long furs on his head, I walked towards the couch and threw my bag before heading to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

I smiled while sipping the cold water when I saw Alex came running in. "Did you miss me Alex?" I asked, kneeling down as he barked excitedly. I spread my arms so that he could jump at me and he eventually did. I stroked his head as I carried him to the living room sat down on the couch, watching the silent waves outside. 

Two Hours Earlier...

"Since you agreed, you're going on a date with me."

My jaw dropped as his other words barely resonated in my head as all I could register was the word 'date'. Was he going crazy? What kind of a CEO would do something like this, something so immature. He wasn't being professional here and I hated it.

I composed myself and looked at him indignantly. "You're hopeless. What kind of a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company could come up with such a condition?"

"Whatever you say Ms. Forbes, it won't change anything and since you agreed, you can't refuse anymore.", he challenged, grinning like an idiot he was. Oh God, I couldn't stand this guy. What was he thinking? Was this guy really the CEO of Lacela's Corp.? Just looking at his face made me want to punch it hard. Even harder perhaps.

"Well, I can always take back my yes because I didn't sign anything," I retorted. His grin didn't disappear as he rested his arms on the table and tapped it with his right index finger.

Bastard!

"Too bad Ms. Forbes, if you take back your yes, then there will be no signing of contract for the both companies, and I can always find another company to invest in. It's your choice." I gritted my teeth thinking about any other options. If I would say no, he wouldn't sign the contract and that was okay for me but what about the company? I knew it was still prospering, but did dad really needed the Lacela's Corp on his side?

"Why are you doing this to me? Why are you giving me a hard time? Do you do this to all the businesswomen you met?" I asked curiously causing his smile to instantly drop as he looked at me intently.

"Because you challenge me Rhel," he simply stated. I frowned at his answer whilst my heart fluttered when he said my first name. "And because you're different from any other girls I met,"  he added. Butterflies attacked my stomach again. Was I different? 

No way. Don't believe him Rhel. That's what playboys usually tell to women when they want them to sleep with them.

"You can't fool me with sweet words Luke. Your charm doesn't affect me even in a tiniest bit." 

"I'm not fooling around Rhel. You asked me and I answered you with the truth." I could have believed him as his gaze didn't stray but I knew better. Men like him always knew how to lie.

Liar.

"I don't care if it's the truth or not, it doesn't matter. Even so, I will not take back my yes because I'm not the kind of person who backs down on her words, and I don't want to disappoint my sister or my dad." There. I had said it.

"Good. I like how you think Rhel," he praised making me roll my eyes.

"Well, if there's nothing more to discuss, then I will take my leave now." I needed to get out from here, to get away from him. Grabbing the folder, I stood up, tucking my bag on my shoulder.

His smile faltered momentarily before he recovered himself quickly, "I will look forward to working with you and your company Ms. Forbes. Have a good night."

*

I leaned my back on the couch while stroking the sleeping Alex. It has been two hours now and I could still clearly remember the conversation we had and most of all his features. Although I was half-angry, I still noticed the smile on his face, the deep dimples on both cheeks, his stare that seemed to bore a hole on me and the way he looked at me as if I was really the only woman he saw. But I knew better than to believe him. 

Sensing that I couldn't get rid the events that took place earlier out of my mind, I had to do something that could help me relax and forget about everything. I put down Alex on the couch and stood up and ran upstairs, into my room. Opening the door, I went straight to the closet and grabbed my black bikini and put it on. I also grabbed my towel before going downstairs, straight to the back door in the kitchen.

Feeling the cool breeze, I walked barefoot on the sand until the water touched my feet. I walked a few steps ahead until the water is hip-high before dipping my head under.

It was about thirty minutes since I started swimming. I was totally engulfed with the coolness of water that I lost track of the time and as I expected, the swim helped me relax and forget. I walked back to my house while drying my hair with the towel. As soon as I was inside, the doorbell echoed throughout the living room. Smiling, I walked towards the door and opened the door, hoping to see Amber whom I texted on the way here, but my smile immediately vanished when I saw the person behind the door.

"Michael?"

He flashed his million dollar smile, "Hello Rhel.. missed me?"