Chapter 30 "A Memory"

Rhel P.O.V

Rhel...

Rhel...

Rhel, wake up...

I fluttered my eyes open as light seeped through my eyelids. 

Rhel, wake up, it's time...

When my vision finally cleared, all I could see was white and blue. It's beautiful. The sky. It looks so peaceful and pure. 

Wake up honey, you've been sleeping all day...

I turned to where the voice was. Such a soft voice. So familiar. A voice I so longed to hear.

"Mom?" She smiled.

"Come on honey." She spread her arms. I got up and ran towards her, tears streaming down my cheeks. I hugged her tighter and snuggled at her chest. 

"Honey what's wrong? Did you have a bad dream?" I nodded even though I didn't have. I just wanted to hug her like this, like I don't want to let her go, ever. I just wanted to stay in these arms, feeling her warmth. 

"Mom, I m-miss you so much!", I said through sobs. She chuckled.

"Honey, you've just been sleeping for 10 minutes." I frowned.

"What?" I asked. I looked around my surroundings and noticed that we're in the park that we used to come. Children were happily playing with their parents and some were with their friends. What's going on?

"Honey pie, we are already hungry." I looked up and saw Dad carrying a little girl in his arm and the other was holding another girl in his side. I squinted my eyes, trying to make out the girl's face, the one Dad's been holding. Why can't I clearly see the girl's face? Dad brought down the girl and the three of them sat across me and Mom. Dad curiously looked at me, his left eyebrow was raised.

"Rhel what's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost baby girl. Everything okay?" Before I could say my response, Mom cut me.

"She just had a bad dream. She fell asleep after playing." Dad nodded and turned his gaze to the girl beside him. He asked her what she wanted to eat. She answered pancakes and banana. Weird taste! I stayed silent as I watched them eating their snacks. Megan was eating her usual favorite bread and jam. Mom and Dad were feeding each other even though it's a little difficult since the baskets and food were in between them. I turned my gaze to the girl with a hazy face, she was eating her pancakes with sliced pieces of banana on top. I rubbed my eyes with both hands but nothing is happening, she's still hazy. What is this? What's happening? Why am I here? What's all of these? Is this just a dream? Perhaps a memory? My memory?

"Rhel what's wrong?"

"Are you okay honey?"

"Honey what's wrong? Talk to us.

"Honey?"

I covered my ears with my hands, my knees curled up to my chest. Their voices were getting louder. The children's laughter, my parent's worried voices, the scrapping sounds of the metals, everything sounds so loud. I couldn't take it anymore. I felt like my head would explode. 

Make it stop! 

Please make it stop! 

Make it stop! 

I chanted over and over again. I rocked myself back and forth. Please make it all stop. I wanna go back. I wanna go back to Luke. Where is he? What am I doing in here? 

Silence!

Everything is silent!

I looked up to see everyone was gone. My dad, Megan, the girl and...mom. I was the only one left in the park. The children so as their parents, their friends, they're...gone. I was alone. Alone in this vast place.