Chapter 11 "Amid The Forest" (Edited)

Rhel

I wanted to say something back but I couldn't. It was like my mouth has been glued shut, it wouldn't budge even if my brain was telling me to speak. I just stared at him, speechless as I tried to process what he just told me. He liked to be alone with me and hearing him said that got me all flustered, even if I knew he would say the same words to other women.

"Rhel," he called, snapping me out of my thoughts, "Are you okay?"

"Huh?...Oh, y-yeah I'm fine." God, I disliked it when he could easily make me blush just saying those words, even if I knew he didn't mean it.

"Okay. How's your ankle?" he asked, his voice laced with concern. I hated it when he would act so concern when clearly he was doing it for a show, I bet he was always nice around women. If I hadn't known better, I would have believed him.

"It hurts, but I can handle it," I answered, turning my back to him. I felt his burning stare on my back but I ignored him. Moments later, I heard crunching sounds of boots and when I looked back, I saw him walking away. I was about to call him when I noticed he was just examining the area.

God, I thought he would leave me here.

I watched him from afar and yeah, I admit, he was strikingly handsome. With just his looks, he could get every woman he wanted. But not me. I knew better than to let a guy like him into my life. .

"We should be going now. It'll get dark soon. Can you still walk?" he asked as soon as he returned. I nodded and carefully lifted myself up, trying not to put too much pressure on my sprained ankle. When I was able to stand, I felt something hard on my pants' pocket.

"My phone! We can call for help," I said hopefully.

He shook his head, "Don't bother. I already checked my phone. There's no signal in here." I looked down in disappointment, momentarily shutting my eyes as everything was giving me a headache.

"We're gonna be fine Rhel..." he assured. "I'm going to get you out of here," he said then I felt his warm hand on my cheek causing me to flutter my eyes open. Somehow, his words eased my anxiety.

We stared at each other before I decided to break the silence.

"Okay Luke. We gotta keep moving." He nodded and pulled his hand before turning his back on me and bent down. "What are you doing?"

He looked over his shoulder, "I'll carry you on my back." My cheeks started to burn in embarrassment.

"You're kidding! I can still walk, you know."

"But we'll be faster this way. Look, I don't want to stay here any longer and I bet you don't want that too. This is the only way Rhel." I stared at him briefly before relenting. Trying to push the embarrassment away, I slowly climbed on his back.

He effortlessly stood up and started walking. It was like he wasn't carrying me as he was walking in a steady pace.

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" I asked when I saw him smile from the side.

"Very much. Actually, this is the first time I carried a woman on my back."

I raised my brow, "Really?"

"Yes and I like it. Kind of romantic, don't you think?"

Um, yeah.

"Not really."

We had been walking for a while now, well, he was walking and I noticed it was getting dark now.

"You can put me down Luke, I will walk from here," I said when I noticed he was faintly huffing.